RUPD investigates robbery, aggravated assault on Livingston campus

The perpetrator is known to both victims and was reported to flee the scene in a dark-colored Chevrolet Impala after stealing property from one victim as well as pushing and striking both victims. – Photo by Wikimedia.org

The Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) is investigating a robbery and aggravated assault that occurred near 95 Rockafeller Road on Livingston campus yesterday at approximately 2 p.m., according to a University-wide email.

The victims, who are not affiliated with the University, reported that a male acquaintance came up to them and started an argument, according to the email. He proceeded to steal property from one victim, then pushed and struck both victims before fleeing the area in a dark-colored Chevrolet Impala.

The perpetrator, who is known to the victims, was described as a 5 foot 10 inch Black male in his late 30s and was said to be wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt, sweatpants and a hat, according to the email. The victims suffered minor injuries and denied medical attention.

Anyone with information regarding this incident or who may have been in the area at the time should contact the RUPD. 

The RUPD reminded students to take safety measures including staying alert to surroundings, walking in groups, avoiding isolated or dark areas and reporting suspicious activity to police.