Rutgers track and field breaks two school records at tri-meet

Junior high jumper Courteney Campbell matched the program's high jump record on Saturday at 1.79 meters, as the Rutgers track team hosted Penn State and Maryland.  – Photo by Scarletknights.com

On Saturday, the Rutgers track and field team hosted a tri-meet with Big Ten opponents Penn State and Maryland at the Bauer Track and Field Complex. At the meet, the Scarlet Knights set multiple individual school records as three athletes with indoor school records now add the outdoor marks of each event. 

Freshman pole vaulter Ka’Leila Abrille set a Rutgers record by vaulting successfully at 3.65 meters, finishing second in the overall event. Abrille has set multiple program records in the span of two months, as she broke the indoor record by clearing 3.86 meters on Feb. 6 at the Penn State Tri Meet. 

Junior high jumper Courteney Campbell was next to claim a record at the weekend meet. Campbell matched the program’s high jump record, clearing the bar at 1.79 meters, tying for first in the meet. This is Campbell’s second time finishing first this season, as she also took first at the Penn State Tri Meet and was second at the Nittany Lion Opener.

Sophomore shot put/discus thrower Jasmine Van Note joined her two teammates in the Knights’ record books, finishing second in the shot put and recording a throw of 15.26 meters. Van Note and Abrille both add outdoor records after setting indoor records at the Penn State Tri Meet just more than two months ago.  

Overall, Rutgers earned the top spot in 17 individual events during the meet, including both 100-meter and 800-meter races. Sophomore jumper A’nan Bridgett took the top spot in the long jump and finished fourth in the 100-meter. In addition, the men’s team won both hurdle events during the meet.

The women’s team took first in every non-hurdle race during the meet, including the 100-meter race where the top five finishers were all Knights. Freshman sprinter Alexandria Yarbrough won both the 200-meter and 400-meter races, joining Bridgett as the only Rutgers teammate to win multiple events during the meet. The throwers also had a successful day, taking the top spot in both javelin events, with the men also finishing first in the hammer throw. 

The Knights will have their next meet tomorrow, traveling to Prairie View, Texas for the Husker Big Ten Invitational. 

"It was great to get the chance to compete at home in front of family and friends," said head track coach Bobby Farrell. "We have a big stretch of competitions coming up and this was a great opportunity to take a week off from travel and just work on things."

For updates on the Rutgers track team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.