Rutgers Gardens closes due to bear sighting

Rutgers Gardens will remain closed until further notice after a black bear was spotted on Tuesday. There are no photos of the bear at this time. – Photo by Pixabay

While most students are off-campus for the summer, Rutgers welcomed a new type of on-campus visitor: a black bear.

The Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) sent an email alert on Tuesday after a black bear was spotted near Rutgers Gardens and Ryders Lane. Rutgers Gardens will remain closed until further notice and students are asked to avoid the area.

On Wednesday morning, a second email was sent out after another on-campus bear sighting in the area between Lipman Drive and Ryders Lane / Cobb Road.

The emails shared tips from the New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife, reminding students to avoid feeding or approaching bears. If a bear is spotted, remain calm, avoid eye contact and avoid running away from the animal.

Those who encounter a bear should make the animal aware of their presence by speaking in an assertive voice, singing, clapping or making other noises.

The RUPD advised students to avoid contact with stray or wild animals. Those who are bitten or scratched by an animal should seek medical attention immediately and report any exposures to the police.

Editor's Note: This story was updated to include details of the second bear sighting at Rutgers.