Rutgers women's basketball drops tight matchup with Ohio State

Graduate student forward Osh Brown lead the scoring for the Knights in the second half.  – Photo by Emma Garibian

After having its last game postponed due to health and safety protocols, the Rutgers women’s basketball team returned on Sunday against a conference opponent, falling 80-71 to Ohio State. The Scarlet Knights (7-13, 0-8) were able to keep the matchup competitive, but still have yet to record a victory in the Big Ten this season.

The first quarter saw Rutgers put up an efficient offensive performance, hitting 7 of its 13 shot attempts. Despite the hot start, the Buckeyes (15-3, 7-2) countered by hitting four three-pointers and taking a 22-19 lead into the second quarter. The Knights got all but one of their baskets from inside the paint, as senior guard Lasha Petree led with 7 total points.

The second period saw both teams struggle to put the ball into the net, shooting a combined 9-for-28 and hitting just two threes, both made by Ohio State. Graduate student forward Osh Brown took the game into her hands, as she scored 7 of the 13 points for Rutgers in the second. The Buckeyes were able to extend their lead, taking a 6 point advantage into the halftime break.

Coming out of halftime, Jacy Sheldon carried the Ohio State offense for the rest of the game. In the third quarter alone, Sheldon had 13 points and made every three-pointer for the team in the quarter. The Knights responded with a balanced attack, as five different players scored in the quarter. Junior forward Tyia Singleton led the way, making all of her shots for 6 points and adding five rebounds. 

Despite going into the fourth quarter down 11, Rutgers was able to cut the lead down several times in the fourth quarter. With under 2 minutes left, a pair of free throws from Petree cut the lead to 4 points. However, Sheldon responded with 5 consecutive points and put the game out of reach, giving the Buckeyes their sixth consecutive victory. 

Sheldon was the leading scorer for the game, scoring 23 of her 32 points after halftime. The Knights continued to be led on offense by Brown, who scored 24 points and added eight rebounds. Despite fouling out in the fourth quarter, Singleton recorded a double-double, providing 11 points and 10 rebounds. Petree was the other Rutgers player to reach double-digit scoring, dropping 18 points.

The Knights will continue to look for their first win of 2022 on Thursday when they travel to College Park to face Maryland. The game will take place at 7 p.m. and will be broadcasted on Big Ten Network+ and 88.7 WRSU-FM.

For updates on the Rutgers women's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.