EDITORIAL: Spooky season is here, Targum editors reflect on their favorite seasonal activities

With Halloween approaching, The Daily Targum's editors share what frightful things they enjoy the most

In addition to the pumpkin spice and apple picking, horror movies and haunted houses are essential to enjoying October. – Photo by Eleanor Brooke / Unsplash

This time of year is always exciting. It is sweater season, pumpkin spice lattes are everywhere and everyone is figuring out what their costumes will be. The Daily Targum's editors reflect on some ways you can get in the mood for Halloween by sharing what spooky things they enjoy the most.

Isabella Tyszka, editor-in-chief: “I'm not a fan of scary movies, or anything scary, really. My ideal version of a spooky time is watching movies or shows that focus on the occult, so titles like 'Practical Magic,' 'Charmed' and 'The Craft' are perfect for me. They're not scary, but they do explore elements of witchcraft and the supernatural, which is pretty spooky and great to watch in preparation for Halloween.”

Victoria Yeasky, managing editor: “My favorite spooky thing to do is go on haunted hayrides or do zombie paintball! Every year, my dad takes my best friend and I to C Casola Farms in Marlboro, New Jersey, and it’s always so much fun. The hayride specifically is awesome and is such a good way to embrace spooky season. I love all the jump scares!”

Astha Lakhankar, head news editor: “My favorite spooky activity is watching horror and thriller movies, especially at night with dim lighting, fluffy blankets and hot tea. Three horror movies I recommend are ‘Us’ (2019), ‘Orphan’ (2009) and ‘The Cabin in the Woods’ (2012).

"'Us,' Jordan Peele’s sophomore directorial effort, is perfect for fans of the horror survivalist genre who will enjoy the film’s adrenaline-pumping action sequences and its great pacing. The greatness of 'Orphan' lies entirely at the feet of its young star Isabelle Fuhrman, whose creepy presence and perfect line delivery raises the movie to another level. "'The Cabin in the Woods' works as a great option for viewers who dislike horror movies, playing on the genre’s tropes to create a well-written and acted satire.”

Kithmy Wickramasinghe, associate news editor: “My favorite spooky season thing to do is to watch horror movies or read scary books. I'm not scared easily, so it's pretty fun to watch or read as many as I can and see if they're realistic enough to scare me. The best way to watch is with buttery popcorn, several blankets and of course with friends or family.”

Claire Bruno, associate news editor: "I always like watching scary movies, but October is a good time to have an excuse to watch them more often. Some of my favorites include Jordan Peele movies, like 'Us’ and 'Get Out'!"

Ricky Suta, opinions editor: "I really enjoy Halloween. I'm looking forward to the new 'Halloween' film, binging some other horror movies (all of Jordan Peele's work!) and maybe checking out a haunted house or two."

Dylan McCoy, head sports editor: “During spooky season, I love watching horror movies and taking all month to prepare for a great costume (if you see Walter White at the bars, say hello!)”

Jack Bisaha, associate sports editor: “This may sound old school, but the thing that gets me into Halloween mode has to be the 'Charlie Brown' Halloween episode. It’s a great representation of the holiday, and it is very nostalgic.”

Vy Nguyen, head copy editor: “My favorite part of spooky season is getting to plan Halloween festivities! Whether it's costumes or fun decorations or themed hors d'oeuvres, I the idea of planning fun get-togethers for my friends — even if organizing all of the logistics during midterm season does amount to another spook in and of itself.”

Henry Wang, photography editor: “During spooky season, I love to get fun spooky decorations and spend time hiking when the trees are in peak foliage.”

Chris Kim, head video editor: "I never used to like horror movies, but I've started to like them because I find some comfort in the idea that this movie character is doing much worse than me. Because of that, I like to keep the month of October a horror movie month."

Meredith MacLean, inside beat editor: "Horror movies and thrillers are definitely my favorite scary part of October. I was too scared of them for a really long time, but then my friend made me watch one, and I was hooked. Some of my favorites released this year were thriller-comedy ‘Bodies Bodies Bodies’ and the amazing Jordan Peele’s ‘Nope,’ but you can’t go wrong with fun horror classics like ‘Scream’ or lauded indie flicks like the much more recent ‘Hereditary.’"

Rachel Chang, social media editor: "It’s a yearly tradition for me to watch Disney Channel Halloween movies, but otherwise, I’m not the biggest fan of scary things. I’m excited to dress up and eat my favorite candy!"

The Daily Targum's editorials represent the views of the majority of the 154th editorial board. Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.