EDITORIAL: Targum editors share some of their favorite fall dishes

Cooler weather means getting cozy and enjoying some fall treats — here are some of The Daily Targum editors' favorites

Fall brings about different flavors — from pumpkin spiced anything to caramel apples, there are always new treats  – Photo by Timothy Wolff / Unsplash

The change of seasons always brings about new culinary treats. The Daily Targum's editors share some of their favorite fall treats to get in the mood for the season.

Isabella Tyszka, editor-in-chief: "Two words: pumpkin pie. I am a huge fan of pumpkin-flavored things, but if that's not available, I'll always settle for some apple cider."

Victoria Yeasky, managing editor: "My favorite fall dish is definitely any kind of hearty, warming soup. I'm a big soup girl all year round, but in the fall, you'll likely catch me slurping a nice chili, potato soup or chowder. I don't have a big sweet tooth, but when I'm in the mood for some sugar, I love any Halloween candy or anything pumpkin related!"

Astha Lakhankar, head news editor: "My favorite fall meal is a warm, gooey apple pie with brown sugar crumble on top. Making it from scratch is not too difficult, and it’s a guaranteed crowd-pleaser for get-togethers and potlucks. Plus, it’s not pumpkin spice flavored, which makes it stand out from other fall desserts."

Kithmy Wickramasinghe, associate news editor: "My favorite fall dish is coconut custard pie. It's a great combination of flaky pastry and sweet cream and goes really well with vanilla ice cream. I also like pumpkin spice muffins, and I first tried those this year. I definitely recommend trying some this fall season if you haven't already!"

Claire Bruno, associate news editor: "My favorite fall foods tend to be desserts. I really like apple pie, apple cider donuts and pumpkin muffins!"

Ricky Suta, opinions editor: "October is great because the weather is cooling off to the point where you can enjoy warm dishes and drinks. I love any soup, and love that I can enjoy soup in the middle of the day without overheating. I also love apple and pumpkin pie (especially with warm apple cider)!"

Dylan McCoy, head sports editor: "I know it’s still October, but thinking about fall food only reminds me of thanksgiving and how excited I am to eat all that food. The stuffing, the pumpkin pie and especially the turkey. Make it November already!"

Jack Bisaha, associate sports editor: "I have always been a big fan of Twix, Milky Ways, and Kit Kats. They are all really good to me and signify for me that Halloween is getting close. Candy is also a symbol of October, thanks to Halloween."

Vy Nguyen, head copy editor: "I am a firm believer that every season is soup season, but fall is especially conducive to soup eating. I also believe that there is beauty in nearly every kind of soup — butternut squash, chicken noodle, tomato, you name it. There is a soup for everyone. The only wrong way to have soup is to do so without bread."

Henry Wang, photography editor: "For me, fall has always been a great time for hot pot. It's a dish where you blanch a mix of whatever meat or vegetable in a savory soup base and add your own choice of dipping sauce. While the food is simple and delicious, it is the comfort of sharing one dish with family that I love."

Chris Kim, head video editor: "I don't have a favorite fall dish, but I will say that I recently had my first pumpkin spice latte, and I understand now. I get it. I really do. It's like drinking a warm pumpkin pie. You get a nice combination of all the amazing fall flavors. There's a delicious balance of cinnamon and clove. Basically, I liked it a lot more than I thought I would."

Jonny Berkowitz, associate video editor: "Favorite fall food is stuffing hands down. Nothing comes close."

Meredith MacLean, inside beat editor: "While I’m more so a soup girl (get a nice French onion for fall if you love yourself) and a proponent of all things savory (beef jerky is not just Slim Jims on road trips! A real, quality jerky is the perfect hearty fall snack!), I do want to take a moment to acknowledge that the 100 Grand Bar is one of the most underrated chocolate bars of all time and that candy corn is good actually."

Rachel Chang, social media editor: “My favorite fall food is my mom’s pumpkin mousse tart. She makes it exclusively for Thanksgiving, and I look forward to having it this year! She also makes an amazing butternut squash bisque that has the most amazing, rich flavors.”

The Daily Targum's editorials represent the views of the majority of the 154th editorial board. Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.