Aundre Hyatt's skills on, off basketball court propelled Rutgers men's basketball program

Senior forward Aundre Hyatt left a lasting legacy of leadership during his three-year stint with the Rutgers men's basketball team. – Photo by Christian Sanchez

Senior forward Aundre Hyatt was honored on Senior Day last season against Northwestern. The then-redshirt junior had a sixth year of eligibility remaining, which resulted in his return to the court for the Rutgers men’s basketball team in 2024 and highlighted his sheer commitment to the program.

Against Ohio State on March 10, Hyatt and seven other seniors were commemorated.

“It really hit me this time cause I know this (is) my last year,” Hyatt said of this season’s Senior Day ceremony. “I didn't feel it until I saw (senior center Clifford Omoruyi) crying and all the emotions came out.”

Hyatt, who hails from the Bronx, played with LSU for three seasons, redshirting his freshman year. In his first full year with the Tigers, Hyatt started in 2 of 29 games. 

Hyatt saw his playing time increase after starting 15 of 24 games in his second full year at LSU. That season, the No. 8-seeded Tigers played against No. 9 seed St. Bonaventure in the first round of the 2021 NCAA Tournament, where Hyatt started at forward and scored 13 points with 10 rebounds and four blocks in the victory.

Following that season, Hyatt transferred to the Scarlet Knights, and in the 2021-2022 season, Hyatt appeared in 32 games. 

After the departures of Ron Harper Jr. and Geo Baker before the 2022-2023 season, Hyatt was thrust into a large role. He started in 17 of 34 games and averaged 8.8 points per game (PPG).

He started that season with a bang, showcasing what skills he would frequently bring to the hardwood. He tallied 12 points and grabbed 10 rebounds for a double-double in the season-opening win against Columbia.

Hyatt would score in the double digits in nine of Rutgers’ first twelve games that season. His best performance came in a home game against Nebraska where he totaled a career-high 24 points with five successful three-pointers.

This season was Hyatt’s busiest on the Banks as he started in 27 of 32 games and averaged 10.5 PPG, led the Knights in total points and three-pointers made and corralled in the second-most rebounds behind Omoruyi. He also served as one of the team’s best players in the total steals and blocks columns.

Hyatt scored double-digit figures in 19 games this season and was looked at as one of the team’s most reliable scorers in a tough offensive season. Despite losing to Maryland in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament, it was a nice cherry-on-top season for Hyatt to end his collegiate career.

“It’s been a long, long journey to get to where we are now,” Hyatt said of himself and the other seniors. “To see it about to end, it kind of feels surreal.”

Outside of basketball, Hyatt will be earning his Master’s degree this spring, studying Labor and Employment Relations

“Aundre Hyatt is off the charts,” head coach Steve Pikiell said of the forward’s academic abilities.

Hyatt will be remembered as a guiding leader at Rutgers whose continued efforts will never be forgotten. He has a bright future, whether on or off the court. 

“I had a really good time here,” Hyatt said. “Rutgers is my second home. I love everything about it — the coaching staff, my teammates."

For more updates on the Rutgers men's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Josh Meyers' work, follow @JoshCMeyers on X.