Holloway issues statement on RUSA divestment referendums

University President Jonathan Holloway issued a University-wide email addressing the Rutgers University Student Assembly's referendum votes pertaining to the student body's opinions on divestment. – Photo by Institute for the Study of Global Racial Justice / YouTube

On Monday, University President Jonathan Holloway sent an email to the University community acknowledging the recent student body vote on two referendums proposed by the Rutgers University Student Assembly.

The email comes three days after the vote closed in Rutgers—New Brunswick and one day before a similar vote opens in the Newark campus, according to a joint Instagram post from the Muslim Student Association at Rutgers—Newark and the Endowment Justice Collective (EJC).

The results of the referendum vote in New Brunswick are yet to be announced. 

In his email, Holloway acknowledged his decision to allow the vote, citing a desire to respect the autonomy of the Assembly and students' ability to engage in respectful discourse. He chose not to issue any statement on the referendums to avoid swaying the results with his influence, according to the email.

In his email, Holloway stated that he does not approve of the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement.

"On the question of divestment, I think the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement is wrong," he said. "I believe that enlightenment comes from involvement and that lasting progress and peace are the outcomes of diplomacy and discussion."

Additionally, whether the University should divest from Israeli entities is not a novel subject, Holloway noted. He said a request to divest from relationships in the region was not approved when first brought to the University's Joint Committee on Investments in 2020.

In a recent press release, the EJC said they filed another request for divestment today and condemned Holloway's timing and statements within his email.

"We will never forget (Holloway's) complete failure to respect student democracy or support our Palestinian community members during this incredibly difficult time," the organization's statement read. "As students of history, we know justice always prevails. Rutgers University will divest from Israeli apartheid — the only question is when."

In his email, Holloway also addressed Rutgers' historical relationship with Tel Aviv University, as well as his personal involvement in developing this relationship, and said that it will progress with the New Jersey Innovation and Technology Hub.

Holloway closed off his email by reiterating his communications from the start of the semester, urging the Rutgers community to engage in respectful and holistic discourse. 

"I hope that, as we close out this semester, you continue to carry those reflections with you and that, when conflict arises — as it inevitably will — you seek first to understand," he said.