Weathered the Red Storm: Rutgers baseball annihilates St. John's

Freshman infielder Ty Doucette finished with 2 RBI in the Rutgers baseball team's huge victory Tuesday night. – Photo by Christian Sanchez

The Rutgers baseball team got a much-needed 15-0 win against St. John's on Tuesday at Bainton Field on Livingston campus. The Scarlet Knights (24-16, 3-9) bounced back to the tune of 10 hits after a 3-0 series loss this past weekend against Iowa.

Rutgers scored just 7 runs last weekend, so naturally, it opened up Tuesday's game by scoring 8 runs in the first inning alone. Highlighted by a double that notched 3 runs batted in (RBI) for sophomore outfielder Trevor Cohen, the Knights walked four times and were hit by pitches three times.

Graduate student right-handed pitcher Sonny Fauci started on the mound for Rutgers, pitching three scoreless innings before getting pulled in the fourth for sophomore right-handed pitcher Ethan Bowen. Bowen pitched 1.2 scoreless innings of his own before getting taken out in the top of the fifth for graduate student right-handed pitcher Jake Marshall.

While the Knights' pitching remained perfect, their bats knocked in 3 more runs in the fourth to increase their lead to 11-0. The inning was highlighted by freshman infielder Ty Doucette slapping an RBI double before scoring off a wild pitch.

Adding to the lead, Rutgers picked up another 4 runs in the fifth to reach the final score of 15-0. The Knights scored 3 runs off of a single to left center by graduate student infielder Johnny Volpe.

From the sixth to the ninth, things went silent. A trio of junior right-handed pitcher Jordan Falco, junior left-handed pitcher Joe Mazza and freshman right-handed pitcher Justin Sweeney kept the Red Storm (25-10-1, 6-3) at bay.

The Knights will look to improve their 3-9 conference record this weekend in Bloomington, Indiana when they play a three-game series against Indiana. Game one will take place at 6 p.m. on Friday, game two will begin at 2 p.m. on Saturday and the series finale will start at 11 a.m. on Sunday. The first two will be broadcast on Big Ten Plus with the finale on Big Ten Network.

For more updates on the Rutgers baseball team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Philip Jaccoma's work, follow @PJaccoma on X.