Rutgers alum discusses abortion accessibility website, female empowerment

Heather Pinheiro, a Rutgers alum and art director of "Esquire Digital," who created an abortion and birth control digital resource for women called "Power + Voice," recently spoke about this project with The Daily Targum. – Photo by Sebastian Pichler / Unsplash

Heather Pinheiro, a Rutgers alum and art director of "Esquire Digital," who recently won a Webby Award in 2023 for designing a virtual interactive information hub for women in need of reproductive care called "Power + Voice," recently spoke about her work with The Daily Targum.

Power + Voice is an online resource that offers information about legal resources, statewide abortion regulations and online birth control access. Interviews with scholars and activists involved in women's health are also available, according to Pinheiro.

In addition, the website cautions against the use of crisis pregnancy centers set up by anti-abortionists that misinform women. Pinheiro said the volume of information around these topics requires her to continuously update the website.

The reversal of U.S. Supreme Court case Roe v. Wade generated misinformation about birth control access and abortion regulations amongst women, Pinheiro said. 

"It was becoming difficult to discern between reputable sources online and deceptive ones, so I decided to provide clarity surrounding these issues by gathering valuable information and comprehensive resources within a single, easily accessible platform," she said.

Pinheiro said she drew inspiration for Power + Voice from her grandmother, a human rights activist who championed women's rights.

Regarding the project’s building process, she broke it down into two parts: website design and information collection. The website design idea developed from a physical drawing into a digital project using tools, such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and After Effects, she said.

When gathering information about reproductive resources, Pinheiro interviewed legal scholars and women about their abortion journeys. Despite the challenges, Pinheiro said she is satisfied with the completed website.

On the homepage of her resource, she said she used images of renowned women, such as former U.S. First Lady Michelle Obama, to emphasize the significance of overturning Roe v. Wade and their status as activists in relation to their political influence. By crossing out their titles and replacing them with "advocate," Pinheiro wanted to showcase their dedication to women's reproductive rights, she said.

Pinheiro also received accolades for the project. So far, Power + Voice has won the aforementioned 2023 Webby Award, a 2022 365: AIGA Year in Design Award, as well as two Lovie Awards for its valuing of fair communication, Pinheiro said.

Additionally, when using the resource, women audiences have indicated feeling empowered to share their abortion experiences, creating a sense of belonging, she said.

Pinheiro credits her Rutgers education for the success of Power + Voice and in her professional career. She said she has also received positive feedback on it from her former professors.

"I simply want women to feel supported, to know that there are individuals advocating for them, tirelessly collecting reliable information to assist them in their reproductive health care journey," she said.