By Erin Petenko

Recent Articles:

Antonio Calcado, vice president of University Facilities and Capital Planning, talks about expansion of facilities at Rutgers at a planning forum held yesterday on Livingston campus.
NEWS

Rutgers uses student input for master plan

Rutgers is looking to refine and expand facilities in student centers, libraries and classroom buildings, said Antonio Calcado, the vice president of University Facilities and Capital Planning. They also hope to improve open spaces and adjust scheduling to accommodate bus transportation. Calcado discussed the physical master plan for Rutgers last night at Tillett Hall on Livingston campus. He said the majority of student and faculty opinion was taken from the MyCampus student survey.

Kim Cole (left), Dean Glen Shafer (center) and Nancy DiTomaso (right) in discussion at the Rutgers Business School building.
NEWS

RBS celebrates re-accreditation

Rutgers Business School has completed a multi-year process to ensure they are meeting their own standards for student achievement. The school recently received its re-accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business, a stamp of approval from the program that promises applicants that RBS is meeting its goals for success.

Frank Marascia (center) accepts the Harold V. Florence, Jr., Meritorious Operator Award from Mark Tompeck (left) and John Alston.
NEWS

Water director wins top state award

Despite controversy surrounding falsified water quality documents during his tenure, New Brunswick Water Utility Director Frank Marascia has recently won a top state award. Marascia, who joined the department in October 2012, received the Harold V. Florence, Jr., Meritorious Operator Award from the New Jersey Section of the American Water Works Association for his performance during Hurricane Sandy, according to a press release from the city.

NEWS

City council addresses issues with water, police jurisdiction for Rutgers

The New Brunswick City Council discussed water quality and traffic quality issues at its meeting yesterday at City Hall on Bayard Street. It approved multiple reforms and expenses for the water department, including a complete review of the system. Frank Marascia, director of New Brunswick Water Utility, said a comprehensive review of the water department found that the gravity filters needed to be changed, so the department chose to continue the review for $14,300.

Kristine Baffo, a School of Arts and Sciences junior, plans to focus on student input.
NEWS

Baffo backs affordability

Kristine Baffo said she wanted to bring more focus on shared governance, textbook costs and public safety to the Rutgers University Student Assembly. Baffo, School of Arts and Sciences senator at-large, is running for president of RUSA in its elections next week. She hopes to expand student input on the administration of the University and RUSA itself. 

Oink and Moo BBQ opened yesterday on Busch campus and will make stops at Livingston campus.
NEWS

Oink and Moo BBQ: Livingston, Busch bask in barbecue

Students could smell the smoky, sweet aroma of Oink and Moo BBQ the moment they stepped off the bus by the Allison Road Classroom buildings yesterday on Busch campus. At the maroon food truck parked at the corner, vendors handed out bowls of chili adorned with corn bread to waiting students for its first day at the University. 

Rutgers Crew Team rows in 1938 on the Raritan River.
NEWS

Rutgers Men’s Crew Team strokes into 150th anniversary

Although Rutgers is often remembered for hosting the first college football game, one student sport is five years older than the football team itself. The Rutgers Men’s Crew Team is celebrating its 150th anniversary this year, head coach Steve Wagner said. It was one of the first 10 crew teams in the country and is older than Princeton University’s rowing team. 

NEWS

RUSA votes to support student organizations

At the Rutgers University Student Assembly elections next week, students will have the option of voting to fund two major state and national groups.RUSA voted last week to include funding for the New Jersey United Students and the United States Student Association as a referendum on the ballot, said Pavel Sokolov, president of RUSA. “We wanted to give students the chance to voice their opinions,” said Sokolov, a Rutgers Business School senior.

Gov. Christie announced resignation of Port Authority Chairman David Samson.
NEWS

Port Authority chairman steps down

Port Authority Chairman David Samson has resigned in the wake of the “Bridgegate” scandal that has occupied New Jersey residents since the closure of the George Washington Bridge in August. Gov. Chris Christie announced Samson’s resignation at a press conference on Friday, according to The New York Times. Many analysts believe the governor forced the action to distance himself from the scandal.

Brian R. Robles, a School of Arts and Sciences senior, was selected from 200,000 applicants for a potential program that would send him to live on Mars permanently.
NEWS

Rutgers student chosen for Mars mission

A Scarlet Knight may be represented on the Red Planet in 2025. The Mars One project, which aims to create a colony on Mars with the first manned mission starting 2024, selected Brian R. Robles in a pool of 1,058 participants out of 200,000 applicants for the next round of selection. If Robles proceeds through the following rounds, he could be one of 40 people to go through a seven-year training program to prepare for life on another planet.

Kari Byron and Tory Belleci came yesterday to the Busch Campus Center.
NEWS

MythBusters assistants talk making of the TV series

For their first myth, “MythBusters” asked Kari Byron to get a 3-D scan of her butt to test a myth. They wanted to know whether someone could get stuck on an airplane toilet seat. Byron started out at the popular science entertainment television program with an internship. She wanted to be a sculptor and visited Jamie Hyneman, who worked with props and special effects, asking him to let her work for free.

NEWS

City launches initiative for neighborhood clean up

New Brunswick has plans to clean the city for spring. The city is holding multiple initiatives in an attempt to clean up the neighborhood, said Russell Marchetta, public information officer for New Brunswick. It is seeking block captains for its Clean City Program, which provides residents with materials such as rakes and bags and helps them recruit neighbors to clean up their areas, according to a press release from the office of the mayor.

A study that recommended changes to Livingston Avenue includes bicycle lanes for alternative transportation.
NEWS

Livingston Avenue needs ‘road diet’ for better structure

Livingston Avenue needs to go on a diet, according to a Rutgers study for the city of New Brunswick. A study from the Alan M. Voorhees Transportation Center at the University recommended major changes to the street that runs from George Street to North Brunswick, creating a “road diet” designed to optimize its structure. The changes would include several major lanes: a travel lane for regular driving, a turn lane and bicycle lanes for alternative transportation, according to a press release from the Office of the Mayor.

Students protest to stop fracking at the Delaware River Basin. Climate change from fracking could cause rising sea levels.
NEWS

Organization works with activists to curb fracking in Delaware river basin

Fracking is a process of extracting natural gas from shale rock that requires companies to drill below the water table and pump the earth with water, chemicals and sand. Climate change from fracking could contribute to a rising sea level and more frequent severe storms. The New Jersey Public Interest Research Group is working with state activist groups to prevent fracking in the Delaware River Watershed.

Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), former speaker of the House, spoke at the Douglass Campus Center.
NEWS

Nancy Pelosi talks political career, experiences

Former Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) raised five children before deciding to run for Congress. “I went from housewife to House speaker, … from kitchen to Congress,” she said. Pelosi, minority leader of the United States House of Represetatives, described her empowerment and struggles as the highest-ranked elected woman in the American government yesterday at the Douglass Campus Center.

The Times Higher Education World Reputation Rankings placed Rutgers at 91 out of 100 ranked colleges. Last year, it was ranked 81.
NEWS

Rutgers sees drop in academic rankings

Rutgers has dropped in an international ranking of university academics. Times Higher Education released a report on March 5 with the results of a survey of more than 10,000 scholars that asked which universities have the best academic reputation. Rutgers was tied with ten other institutions for 91 out of 100 ranked colleges, according to the report. It tied for 81 in 2013 on the same study after increasing from 91 in 2012, and 71 in 2011.

An uninhabited lot and house currently located at 17 Mine St., where the New Brunswick Planning Board intends to construct an apartment building.
NEWS

Apartment building to replace abandoned lot

The New Brunswick Planning Board heard a proposal Tuesday night that could drastically change the character of Mine Street. The Construction Management Associates, LLC. asked the board for permission to build a four-story apartment building on the uninhabited lot and house at 17 Mine St. Thomas Kelso, who represented the company for the hearing, said the plan was consistent with the redevelopment of the College Avenue campus and was intended to provide housing for Rutgers and New Brunswick Theological Seminary students.

Trustworthiness for Gov. Chris Christie fell from 43 percent to 23 percent, according to a Rutgers-Eagleton Poll.
NEWS

Poll shows reduced trust in Christie

Gov. Chris Christie’s approval ratings have continued to drop after revelations of his alleged misuse of Hurricane Sandy aid. The Rutgers-Eagleton poll released the results of an 842-person survey that found trust in the governor has continued to decrease, although Christie has managed to maintain his reputation as a strong leader. Only 23 percent of New Jersey adults said they would call Christie “trustworthy,” compared to 43 percent in October 2013, according to a press release about the poll.

Beginning in 2016, the SAT will no longer have a mandatory essay section. The College Board is returning to a 1600-point scale and will not deduct points for wrong answers.
NEWS

College Board overhauls SAT essay, score system

Aspiring Rutgers students are in for some changes to the application process.Last Wednesday, The College Board announced a strong departure from the current format of the SAT, one of the nation’s leading college admission exams. They plan to eliminate the 2400-point scoring system introduced in 2005 in favor of the prior 1600-point basis, with an optional essay sub-score replacing the current essay section, according to an article in The New York Times.

NEWS

Rutgers study reveals lack of state oversight to contractors

A Rutgers report concluded that the state does not provide enough oversight to its third-party contractors. According to the report, jointly published by the School of Management and Labor Relations and the Department of Public Policy and Administration, New Jersey lacks the necessary personnel to monitor the maintenance of their contracts, putting the lives of its most vulnerable people — children, the disabled and the elderly — at unnecessary risk.

More Articles