Rutgers men's basketball lands 2023 NEC Player of the Year Jordan Derkack out of transfer portal

Merrimack transfer Jordan Derkack hails from Colonia, New Jersey, and will return to his home state to play for the Rutgers men's basketball team this season. – Photo by merrimackathletics.com

The Rutgers men's basketball team has landed its third offseason transfer with the commitment of now-former Merrimack guard Jordan Derkack. Derkack was the Northeast Conference Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year this past season.

Derkack averaged 17 points per game, six rebounds and approximately four assists with the Warriors this year. Derkack had scheduled visits with the Scarlet Knights, Penn State, Seton Hall and USC before ultimately choosing Rutgers. He joins Tyson Acuff and Zach Martini as head coach Steve Pikiell's offseason additions thus far.

Derkack will join a loaded backcourt on the Banks alongside five-star signee Dylan Harper, soon-to-be sophomore guard Jamichael Davis, soon-to-be redshirt senior guard Jeremiah Williams and Acuff. With Derkack's 6-foot-5 stature and his abilities as a defender, there will be plenty of lineup flexibility to utilize all five of these guards' strengths.

A concern with Derkack's game is his shooting, as he shot just 26.3 percent from three in his Merrimack career. The Knights' shooting struggles were striking this past season, and Derkack will not necessarily bring them up to par right away. Though, with far fewer shots available for him on the Banks with guard talent like Harper, Williams and Acuff surrounding him, Derkack's shooting efficiency should increase.

"(Those guys) can create their own shots, can create shots for others," Derkack said. "So it's going to make it easier on me and I'm going to make it easier on them."

Derkack does finish effectively at the rim, which is where the majority of his shot attempts come from. He shot 59 percent at the rim this season, making up 65 percent of his shot attempts. Like the three-point shooting, Rutgers also struggled in the layup department this season, so Derkack's scoring abilities in close will be vital for the team's offensive improvement.

Derkack's 27 percent assist rate was another strength. These playmaking abilities should shine with the Knights and allow him to run the bench unit effectively, assuming he does not start over Harper, Williams or even Acuff.

While he did pass the ball well, he also turned it over a bit more than one would like, with a 21 percent turnover rate. With likely far fewer ball-handling duties assigned to Derkack, expect his turnovers to go down with Rutgers.

He scores effectively in transition, as a ball screen handler, in spot-up opportunities and in post-ups, ranking in the top half of the country in points per possession for all of these.

Derkack has two years of eligibility remaining, meaning he could make a name for himself on the Banks beyond just this upcoming season.

With Pikiell's roster beginning to fill out, the primary transfer portal focus is now shifting away from the backcourt and into the frontcourt, with the center position being the top priority.

Joining such a promising team next season, Derkack is ready to compete.

"I'm blessed with the opportunity. All I've ever asked for is the opportunity," Derkack said. "Every year is a challenge, every year you're fighting for a role, so my role is what I make of it."

For more updates on the Rutgers men’s basketball team, follow @TargumSports on X.

To view more of Camden Markel's work, follow @CamdenMarkel on X.