Rutgers finishes out of top-5 for 1st time this season at Edean Ihlanfeldt Invitational

backemillymillsdt415

The Rutgers women's golf team finished in seventh place with a team total of 920 (305-312-303) at the Edean Ihlanfeldt Invitational on October 10 and 11. After coming off of three top-five finishes to start the 2017 fall tournament schedule, the Scarlet Knights hit a slight hiccup and lost their momentum.

The host, Washington, took first place in the team competition, edging Colorado by 2 strokes. The Huskies were led by Karen Miyamoto and Julianne Alvarez who took fourth and fifth place with scores of 216 and 217, respectively.

Rutgers had the worst score overall on the par-3 holes at Sahalee Country Club in Sammamish, Washington. On the short holes, it was 23 strokes over par.

Co-captain Emily Mills stayed near the top of the standings for most of the competition. She slipped down a few spots with her last round performance and finished tied for 16th place with an overall score of 225 (73-74-78). On the par-3 holes, she held the best performance at 2-over par for the Knights.

Freshman Harriet Allsebrook was once again given the opportunity to travel with the team and compete. She made the most of it with a 26th-place finish with a score of 229 (79-78-72). After a dismal first day performance of 79 and 78, she bounced back to shoot an even score of 72 in round three.

Head coach Kari Williams spoke to ScarletKnights.com about the consistent play from her two freshman competitors

"Our freshmen showed promise today," Williams said. "Harriet bounced back with a solid round of even par and after a tough start, Lori finished her final seven holes at two under.”

Senior Tatum Jackson started to fall off the pace a bit in the second and third rounds of competition. She shot 81 in each of the later rounds and fell down to a tie for 34th place with 234 (72-81-81). She was able to make up for Rutgers' struggles on the short holes though, with  a solid performance on the par-5 holes and shooting one-under par for the tournament.

Co-captain junior Ashleigh Greenham was one of four competitors in the tournament to shoot an eagle. Her overall performance did not reflect her success in the first two competitions of the fall season and she placed a tie for 38th with a score of 236 (81-79-76).

Like Allsebrook, fellow freshman Lori Char competed once again for the Knights, her second tournament in a row. She rounded out the team with a tie for 49th place, shooting a score of 243 (82-84-77).

With only one more tournament scheduled for the fall season, the Scarlet Knights head down the East Coast to Macon, Georgia to play in the Idle Invitational. The fall finale will be hosted by Mercer University.

Williams told ScarletKnights.com that she is looking to cap off the midseason mark with a positive performance.

“We are looking forward to two weeks at home to practice and prepare for a strong finish in our final event of the fall season," she said.

For updates on the Rutgers women's golf team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Justin Bonhard