Salon to donate 100 percent of day's proceeds to charity

Voi Salon and Spa employees were looking to make a difference within the surrounding community and achieved their goal yesterday at the Salon's charitable cut-a-thon.

More than 40 Middlesex county residents and University students came to East Brunswick salon between 11 a.m. and 7 p.m. for a discounted haircut, where 100 percent of the proceeds benefited the Ronald McDonald house in New Brunswick, a safe haven for families with critically ill children.

"We were looking for a charity to support locally and the Ronald McDonald house happened to be a charity a lot of people were familiar with in the area," said Salon Manager Vicki Walkoviak. "We actually knew somebody who worked there and we approached them and it was a joint effort between both of us."

Although the salon is usually closed on Mondays, the employees decided to open for business and volunteer their time for the cause.

"Everyone [who] came in today was volunteering their time - no one got paid," Walkoviak said. "There was no money made [for the salon] today. Our haircuts are usually between $35 and $55 and we were charging $25 per haircut today and $15 for Rutgers students."

Ronald McDonald house New Jersey Business Manager Lynne Siedentop said all proceeds from the cut-a-thon will directly contribute to the house's general operating costs.

"We house the families of critically ill children who are undergoing treatment in area hospitals," said Siedentop, who runs the Long Branch and New Brunswick offices. "They were gracious enough to do this fundraiser for us."

Siedentop said this cut-a-thon is one of several local businesses that sponsor charitable events throughout the year.

"We're very fortunate that we are funded almost entirely by the community at large, businesses large and small and corporations," she said. "Many of them come up with very unique ideas like this cut-a-thon."

Salon stylist Lori Salegma said this cut-a-thon was a combined effort, organized by all the employees.

"We talked about it and we all wanted to help and do something that would make a difference," said Salegma, who has worked at the salon for one year. "We thought Ronald McDonald house would definitely [benefit from] the proceeds we made today."

Milltown resident Virginia Montero said she decided to come to the cut-a-thon because she really needed a haircut.

"It's a way of helping out," she said.

Middlesex resident Jennifer Salvo, 22, heard about the cut-a-thon from Walkoviak.

"I thought it was for a great cause so I decided to come out," Salvo said.

Caitlin Mahon