Four seniors enter final home meet as Scarlet Knights

4f198cc6c5c0f.image
Photo by Will Schneekloth |

Rutgers senior gymnast Kristy Behr will compete in the final home meet of her career this weekend against Cornell.

The Rutgers gymnastics team will close out its home schedule by celebrating Senior Day Saturday afternoon when they host Cornell at the Livingston Recreation Center.

The Scarlet Knights are coming off a performance in which they posted a season-high score of 192.050. The 192.050 was Rutgers' (6-16) highest score since they posted a mark of 192.575 against Cornell in 2007.

Sophomore Sunny Gerlach and senior Kristy Behr led the Knights on the bars as both posted scores higher than a 9.7.

"I definitely have [gotten better each meet]," Behr said. "It's hard to be perfect, but the girls support me so it's worth it."

Behr is one of four seniors that will be honored Saturday. Alison Hartwig, Jessica Haddaway and Latara Nothcutt, who will also take to the floor for the final time at home, will join her.

"It's going to mean everything," Behr said about Senior Day. "It makes me really sad to think that it is almost over. I'm just going to miss all of it."

Northcutt has been working her way back into the lineup after an injury several weeks ago limited her participation.  Northcutt posted a team-best 9.625 on the vault in the Knights last meet.

Rutgers head coach Chrystal Chollet-Norton said Northcutt is close to returning to the all-around competition.

"We are going to try it again [on bars]," Chollett-Norton said. "We have her back in three events, but stretching is the one that really pulls her arm. But we've got her back … and she's as solid as a rock on beam and that's what we need."

RU also got a solid performance from sophomore Kiah Banfield who posted a season-high score of 9.775 on the floor.

"I just knew that we could do it," Behr said of the team's performance last week. "We had it in us the whole time, and it was great that we could bring it all together especially at home."

Cornell (12-5) will prove a stern test for Senior Day. The Big Red enter the contest on the heels of a first place finish at the Ivy Classic in New Haven, Conn.

RU will honor its seniors before the beginning of the meet.

Kyle Franko