Clean up Raritan

The Raritan River is essential to millions of people in New Jersey and in fact provides drinking water for over 12 million residents. Unfortunately, the Raritan is the 14th most polluted waterway in the nation with over 200 toxic waste sites along its banks. I ask, "What are you doing for Earth Day?"

This weekend, 1,300 people are expected to participate in the 5th Annual Raritan-Wide Earth Day Cleanups on April 18 and 19. New Jersey Community Water Watch and 10 other organizations are hosting cleanup sites in 23 different communities along the Raritan River. Groups include the South River/East Brunswick Rotary, Edison Greenways, South Branch Watershed Association, St. Paul's United Church of Christ and the Upper Raritan Watershed Association, as well as others. As an intern for Water Watch, I urge all residents of Central New Jersey to devote just a few hours to honor their planet and cleanup our river.

With free supplies, food and the promise of a fun day with family and friends there is no better way to spend a day. Information about local sites and meeting times can be found on www.njwaterwatch.org.

Chelsea Kahn is a School of Environmental and Biological Science sophomore majoring in marine biology.

Chelsea Kahn