Don't throw me out just yet: in defense of Rutgers College

Many of us graduating in 2009 are relieved that we shall be recognized for the programs we are enrolled in when we graduate in a few weeks. I learned Sunday that the reassignment attitude persists beyond the commencement ceremonies.

I had the honor of being inducted in Phi Beta Kappa. Still, at the ceremony I found myself, with all other students of Rutgers College, Livingston College and University College, listed under "School of Arts and Sciences." I found this strange, as I never enrolled in SAS or received notification that I was in any way part of it. It left me to wonder what other important documents have me incorrectly listed. When I asked why this was, the official at the ceremony explained that Rutgers College does not exist anymore.

To be honest, I do not like being told that I do not exist anymore. As long as there are living Rutgers College alumni, Rutgers College will exist. So providing that there are students taking classes on the Banks enrolled in Rutgers College, the University will have to deal with it.

I am not going to lament the loss of the college system or any of its components. The merger was inevitable and will probably pay off in the long run. Still, I ask to be recognized for what I am. While the University officials have to comply with this momentous adjustment, they cannot forget that nearly half of the current undergraduates are not part of it, never have been and never will be.

We of the Classes of 2009 and 2010 know things have changed, but our memories have not forgotten what we knowingly signed up for three and four years ago — it was not the School of Arts and Sciences. Rutgers College was around for hundreds of years, and SAS could probably be as well. But please do not rewrite our personal histories. We enrolled in Rutgers College, picked our courses based on Rutgers College requirements and will graduate from Rutgers College. No merger or letters "SAS" incorrectly placed with our names can ever change that.

Brendan Cassidy is a Rutgers College senior majoring in political science & history.

Brendan Cassidy