Sports bar slides into city's restaurant scene

4f198be795340.image
Photo by Nicholas Blew |

Sliders Bar and Grill, located downtown at 378 Easton Ave., has nothing over $10 on the menu and serves numerous 4 oz. beef, chicken, seafood and vegetarian sliders.

For sports fans, there's a new downtown bar and grill in town.

At Sliders Bar and Grill, located 378 George St., the waitresses and bartenders dress in referee uniforms and will soon have whistles and red flags to alert when customers spill a drink. With 15 television screens and two floors, Sliders also has a DJ that performs on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.

Sliders shows NFL Sunday Ticket games, Rutgers football games when they're televised and will be showing the upcoming NFL playoff and World Series games, Owner Adam Zebib said. Sliders also shows Ultimate Fighting Championship matches.

"People should come to Sliders because we have good, inexpensive food, a lot of beer to choose from, a nice atmosphere, good people and cute girls," Zebib said. "We're the only one that shows all the sporting events in town."

The bar has 12 beers on draft and nothing on the menu is more than $10, he said. Some of the signature 4-ounce sliders include the "Kobe," "Mushroom Medley Sirloin," "Pickled Red Onion," "Shish Kebab" and "Lobster Crab Cake."

The grill also offers various appetizers, salads, soups, wraps, sandwiches and beef, chicken, seafood and vegetarian sliders.

Compared with other restaurants and bars downtown, Sliders is more affordable, said Employee Venice Nollora. Domestic bottles of beer are $3.50 and imported bottles are $4.

"I think what sets it apart is it's a really fun atmosphere, but it's also higher class, so it attracts both ends — college kids as well as all the business professionals," said Nollora, a Rutgers College senior.

Customer Jared Axelrod said he stopped by the bar after work and likes the atmosphere at Sliders.

"The beers are really good; I like the range of drafts," he said. "It seems reasonably priced, it's upscale but not expensive and the staff is really nice."

Zebib said the grill opened on Oct. 7 and had a great response on the first day, with about 800 people coming through the bar.

Some of the promotions the bar has coming up include Service Industry Night on Mondays, and during NFL games, customers who buy a pitcher of beer can receive a free Sliders pizza.

Heather Brookhart