That's what she said

In my favorite book, "The Catcher in the Rye," Holden Caulfield said, "What I was really hanging around for, I was trying to feel some kind of a good-by. I mean I have left schools and places I didn't even know I was leaving. I hate that. I don't care if it is a sad good-by or a bad good-by, but when I leave a place I like to know I'm leaving it. If you don't, you feel even worse."

With less than one semester left at the University, that pretty much sums up how I feel right now.

Don't get me wrong — I am beyond ecstatic to get away from this school. I have been ready to graduate since about my second semester as a first-year student. And as a lifelong resident of Central Jersey — born in New Brunswick — I am rather sick of this area.

Not unlike a lot of students, I am sure, I have experienced the "RU Screw" at one point or another, and sometimes I feel like no one at the University's administration cares or is truly helpful. There are too many people, we misuse our money and bureaucracy rules — end of story.

But I'm sure, after graduation in May, I actually will miss this crazy place. I have been racking my mind, trying to remember some of the best and worst experiences of the past four years. Nothing gigantic really stood out.

I finally realized it was the little moments that meant the most to me: watching marathons of "Project Runway" with my suitemates, some guy sitting next to me on the bus randomly offering me a piece of gum, walking through the fall foliage of Voorhees Mall on the College Avenue campus on a quiet early morning, Soul Food Night at the dining halls, some kid bringing a squirrel into my art history class one day, Rice Krispies Treats at Hansel 'N Griddle, hearing journalism great Bob Woodward when he came to speak at the University, basking in my favorite art pieces while I worked at the Jane Voorhees Zimmerli Art Museum, and I'm sure the list can go on.

And I cannot forget The Daily Targum. Oh Targum, how I will miss you. As copy editor for the past year and as an assistant for a semester before that, I have learned things about the English language that no one should ever really need to know. I remember the first time I walked up to the little office at 26 Mine St., not knowing what to expect. It was daunting, confusing and congested at first, but I soon developed comfort in the routine. In short, the Targum became my second home. I have read some truly great articles and even interviewed a congressman. But I've also edited columns and other stories that honestly make me very apprehensive about our generation's intelligence.

Anyway, working at the Targum has and will continue to define my college "experience." I honestly do not know where I'd be right now if I had not joined the newspaper. Over time, the Targum kids became not just my co-workers, but also my friends; that will happen if you spend up to 10 or more hours with people in one day. Through thick and thin, we made it through every day as a team, and you guys helped me out more than you will ever know. I am so grateful to have met each and every one of you. I admire your strength and passion. I will miss the constant laughter and ridiculousness. I don't want to call out specific people, because invariably someone will be missed, but I truly love you guys — I hope you know who you are.

I think I have grown tremendously during the past two years. I have learned how to take criticism — though not necessarily accept it. I will probably always be an introverted person, but if you get to know me and listen to my inconsistent ramblings, I sincerely apologize for how annoyingly loud I am. I used to be scared to state my opinion and overly nervous about outward appearances, but then I just stopped caring about what others thought of me. And, you know what? It's amazing! I suggest you try it sometime. If I can give you dear readers one iota of advice — even though it may be cliché — be yourself and stay true to what you believe in. Find a few friends you can trust and don't let anyone talk down to you. Be feisty.

And for the love of God, people, use Spell Check.

As I embark into "the real world" — whatever that may be — I am extremely scared yet giddily excited, as I imagine many of my peers feel the same right now. Even with the 16 percent unemployment rate for recent college grads and my not-so-in-demand journalism and media studies degree, I am determined to be successful. And believe me, I am fierce when I want to be, so you all better watch out.

Thanks for reading, because now I think I have my good bye. Well, "at least we put this matter to bed."

And "That's what she said." (Sorry, I had to do it.)

Adrienne Vogt is the outgoing copy editor. She is a School of Arts and Sciences senior majoring in journalism and media studies with a minor in art history and planning and public policy. Ummm ... Vogt, her laugh and "The Office" ringtone will be missed. But she leaves a lasting mark in the world of grammar and style: the new board will always spell adviser with an "e," move time elements and keep copy classy. We guess.

Adrienne Vogt