Junaid, Prince selected in WNBA Draft

4f198f0021a14.image
Photo by Andrew Howard |

Center Rashidat Junaid, white, heard her name called yesterday at the 2010 WNBA Draft. Guard Brittany Ray went undrafted despite leading the Knights last season in points.

Add two more Scarlet Knights to the WNBA ranks.

The 2010 WNBA Draft yesterday saw the selection of former Rutgers guard Epiphanny Prince in the first round and senior center Rashidat Junaid in the third.

Prince went fourth overall to the Chicago Sky, while the Los Angeles Sparks selected Junaid with the No. 32 pick. Senior guard Brittany Ray, the Scarlet Knights' leading scorer this season, was not drafted.

After spending the majority of her career on the bench behind former standout center Kia Vaughn, Junaid finally saw court time in her senior season. The center finished the year with 5.7 points, 3.8 rebounds and 1.6 blocks per game for the Knights. Junaid scored a career-high 16 points twice this year.

Prince continued the women's basketball team's strong tradition on WNBA Draft day in the first round.

Prince left Rutgers after her junior year to play professionally overseas and was not on hand at the draft in Secaucus, N.J.

Prince's parents Kathy and Jerry did attend the draft, however, and her father told ESPN he was speechless.

Prince's mother discussed Prince's decision to leave Rutgers with ESPN.

"It was very hard at the time," she said. "It wasn't an easy decision. It took months. She's a grownup now so she makes her own decisions and it turned out very well."

She averaged 19.5 points per game as a junior and will be best remembered for her 33-point performance against Connecticut as a sophomore. Prince's 27 second-half points against the Huskies in 2008 propelled Rutgers to a 73-71 victory.

It was the last time any team beat Connecticut in the regular season.

Sam Hellman