Weather conditions mar tourney

The Rutgers women's golf team placed ninth at the Rutgers Invitational this past weekend with a combined score of 668 (347-321).

Fairleigh Dickinson University emerged victorious with a score of 642, winning by seven strokes over second-place Bucknell and 13 strokes better than third-place Siena.

The Scarlet Knights posted one of the highest first-round scores, which hampered their run to victory since their 321-second round score was the third lowest out of the 21 teams competing.

The Knights saw success in the play of senior team captain Jeanne Waters, who posted a total 160 (83-77) for both days' play and tied for third overall in individual performance, despite the blustering conditions on Friday that halted play.

But the rest of the team lagged behind its captain.

Sophomore Karen Cash finished tied for 40thwith a 169 (87-82) score. Junior Elisa Mateer finished tied for 47thwith a 170 (87-83), sophomore Brittany Weddell tied for 50thwith a 171 (91-80) and junior Lizzy Carl finished tied for 56th with a score of 172 (90-82).

Heading into the weekend, the team recorded a 308-350 victory over New Jersey divisional rival Seton Hall. During the head-to-head matchup, Waters finished first and 2-over 74 on the par-72 Rutgers Golf Course.

Coming into this weekend's play, the Knights looked to improve upon their third-place finish from last season's Invitational and Waters sought to retain her individual first place crown.

She tied for a tournament-best five birdies last season and led Rutgers to a 627 (316-311) total.

This weekend's tournament was marred by bad weather and play had to be stopped early on Friday because of darkness. The gusty winds and blistering cold had a huge impact on the performance of all the players, as witnessed by the best score of 330 in the first round by Boston College.

The frustration and disappointment was evident on the athletes, as their shots got away because of the wind. Many could be seen rubbing their hands and bundling up in an effort to repel the near-freezing conditions.

All the individuals had very good second round scores, showing bounce-back ability after Friday's bad weather conditions.

Head coach Maura Waters-Ballard leads Rutgers to the Richmond Invitational on Nov. 1, when the Knights hope to rebound from this weekend and place amongst the top.

Adhaar Sharma