Stringer nabs No. 6 recruit for 2011 class

Another recruiting class and another high profile recruit landed for the Rutgers women's basketball team.

Briyona Canty, a 5-foot-9 guard, signed on to play for head coach C. Vivian Stringer yesterday, bolstering a backcourt currently made up of two juniors and two sophomores.

But the No. 6 overall recruit in the country, according to ESPN HoopGurlz, heads to the Banks with modest expectations.

"I'm just going to work as hard as I can," the Willingboro, N.J, native said. "I'm just excited. It's a great experience."

The Trenton Catholic Academy product was the highest ranked unsigned recruit yesterday and now joins a guard-heavy class that includes Neptune, N.J., natives Syessence Davis and Shakena Richardson.

While at Trenton Catholic, Canty took home two NJSIAA Non-Public B South titles, earning a First Team All-State spot after the 2010 season.

She also played for the U.S. National Under-17 team and commits to Piscataway as the top-ranked guard in the nation.

Canty received offers from top-tier programs such as Kentucky, South Carolina, Penn State and Miami but in the end decided to stay close to home and play in her home state.

All four recruits in Stringer's 2010 recruiting class hail from New Jersey, and three of the four are ranked in the Top 100 by ESPN HoopGurlz — Canty, Davis and Richardson.

Though height may still be a problem for Stringer's team, the addition of Canty to complement the rest of the recruiting class may be the missing piece for the Knights.

And even for the No. 6 recruit in the nation, there is still room to improve.

"I think it can improve a lot," Canty said of her skill set. "[Stringer] is a great coach and she knows a lot, so I think I'm going to be a great player for Rutgers."

Anthony Hernandez