George W. Bush demonstrates poise

Former President George W. Bush left all sorts of impressions on the American public during his days in office, ranging from outright disgust to fervent praise. But — love him or hate him — Bush does not plan on sticking around in the public eye for much longer. In a recent interview on C-Span, he announced that he intends to bow out of politics for good and retire to civilian anonymity in peace. We feel he is displaying an incredible amount of responsibility with this decision.

Bush gave a slew of reasons as to why he no longer wants to be public figure, all of which are compelling. Among those reasons, Bush stated, "I think it's bad for the country, frankly, to have a former president criticize his successor. It's tough enough to be president as it is without the former president undermining the current president." We agree with Bush on this sentiment. It is no longer his job to run the country — why should people keep seeking him out for his opinions on the country's direction right now? In fact, more politicians should follow Bush's example. When your time is up, it is time to turn the country over to a new set of leaders and let them run things according to their own plans and priorities. There is, after all, a two-term limit on presidency in the United States.

Bush was never praised for his poise — on the contrary, he became the butt of jokes everywhere for his lack thereof. This is a new side of Bush, one that we can easily empathize with. It has to be incredibly draining to be the president of the United States. The man deserves to finally have some rest and be allowed to return to normalcy. There's also a level of integrity present in Bush's decision to eschew campaigning and fund-raising. Regardless of how anyone feels about his time in office, Bush is still a person. He should not have to reduce himself to a political tool.

Of all of Bush's comments regarding his desire to disappear from the limelight, the one which resonates the most is his statement, "Being out of the press, at least in this stage of the post-presidency, is something that makes me very comfortable and its somewhat liberating, frankly." For eight years, Bush dedicated his life to serving the United States. People may drastically disagree with respect to how well he really served the nation, but the fact of the matter remains that he gave up any semblance of a personal life to become the main player in American politics. The least the country can do is let the man feel liberated for a change.