Belgian sex strike can bring resolution

Desperate times call for desperate measures, as the old adage goes. Belgian Sen. Marleen Temmerman seems to agree. In an attempt to expedite the process of forming a Belgian government — the country has been without one for 241 days at this point — Temmerman has suggested the spouses of those involved in the negotiations go on strike. To be more specific, Temmerman is suggesting a sex strike. That is, she is asking the spouses of those involved withhold sex from their significant others until a solution is reached and a government is formed. Temmerman hopes that doing so will spur the negotiators to reach a resolution faster. While it is a pretty hilarious idea, it could actually end up being pretty effective. Is there any better carrot to hold in front of a person than potential sexual gratification?

The sex drive is perhaps the most universal of all human urges. Regardless of race, gender, sexuality, ethnicity, creed or political affiliation, pretty much every one wants to have sex — and overcome any obstacle that stands in their way of having it. What better way to tackle the problem of creating a government than promising politicians they will be able to satisfy their urges once they have done just that? The only problem is making sure the people involved in the strike will keep their promise to abstain. This is a chance for these spouses and significant others to become true patriots. All they have to do is renounce sex for a little while and, voila — they become heroes of Belgium.

Perhaps Temmerman's proposed strike should rest on even stricter terms. They could strike until the best possible government is created. This would prevent the negotiators from throwing together a slapdash government just to be rewarded. Maybe Belgium's resulting government will end up being the best government the world has ever seen? That could just be hyperbole, but, really, one never knows.

A sex strike may be an incredibly unconventional solution to a serious problem but that does not mean it should not be taken seriously. Belgium needs a government. There is no doubt about that. Why not try to tackle the issue from every available angle? Besides, it is refreshing to see a politician from any country come up with a creative solution to a problem, rather than merely traverse the same tired avenues, which often result in slight change, if any.