RUSA must address members' problems

As participants in a governing body of the University, the various members of the Rutgers University Student Assembly have a lot on their respective plates. RUSA's answer to this conundrum is to hire a graduate student whose job it would be to essentially act as a foreman, overseeing the members and making sure they do all the work they should be doing. The problem with this is that RUSA should not need a taskmaster. The fact that it does suggests there are deep-rooted problems with the way the assembly operates — problems that hiring a graduate student is not going to fix.

RUSA should be composed of students who care deeply and passionately about their commitment to the University. With 90 members, RUSA should be able to handle all of the work it needs to handle — regardless of any outside commitments the members might have. Besides, if RUSA members feel they cannot handle their RUSA abilities along with, say, their schoolwork, then they should not be RUSA members in the first place. Students should only be involved with RUSA if they have the ability to do what needs to be done. There are plenty of student organizations on campus that require a significant amount of dedication, and their members seem to be able to do their jobs properly. For example, look at all the work the members of the Rutgers University Dance Marathon put in. They have created the largest student-run philanthropic event in the state.

The problem, then, is that there seem to be many RUSA members who are not pulling the required weight. If these members cannot do the job, they should be replaced with people who can — not baby-sat by a graduate student. Do the various governing bodies of the United States hire people to ensure that they are doing their work? Hardly. RUSA needs to be composed of students who want to be there — students who want to actively take part in the assembly. Instead, RUSA is full of people who are only there to make up voting blocks, pass a resolution or two and then give up. Understandably, University students find it difficult to be happy with RUSA as it stands.

Thankfully, many of the University's other councils are staunchly opposed to RUSA's plan. Both the Mason Gross Student Government Association and the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences Governing Council are working on resolutions against the plan. These councils have the right idea: RUSA's current plan will solve nothing and ultimately end up wasting University money. RUSA needs to address and fix the real problems, rather than attempt to sweep them under the rug with the proposed measure.