Cranford man arrested in University student's homicide

William Parisio of Greaves Place in Cranford, N.J., was arrested and charged with the homicide of University student Pamela Schmidt.

The Cranford Police Department discovered Schmidt, 22, unresponsive in a basement Sunday shortly after noon. She was later pronounced dead at the scene, Union County Prosecutor Theodore Romankow said in a statement.

An autopsy by the county medical examiner determined Schmidt, of Warren Township, N.J., suffered traumatic injuries. The autopsy ruled her death a homicide, according to the statement.

The Union County Homicide Task Force arrested Parisio, 22, yesterday, and he is being held at the Union County Jail on $400,000 bail. He will make his first court appearance in the upcoming days, according to the statement.

Schmidt was expected to graduate from the University this May with degrees in psychology and labor studies and a minor in human resource management, according to her LinkedIn profile. She was also a human resources intern at Amicus Therapeutics and intended to study in the Human Resource Management Masters program at the University this fall.

According to the University's directory, a Parisio from the same Cranford address is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in statistics with a minor in economics.

The case is a joint investigation by the Union County Homicide Task Force and the Cranford Police Department. The University as of yesterday had no additional information on the case.

Mary Diduch