A large, spirited crowd gathered on the Voorhees Mall yesterday at 2 p.m. to protest tuition hikes.

While there had been rumblings about the "Walk into Action" for weeks before Wednesday, few people could have foreseen just how immense and powerful the rally ended up being. Hundreds of students took to the streets to fight for affordable education in one of the most encouraging expressions of solidarity the University has seen in a long time. They even went directly to President Richard L. McCormick's office to demand answers. In a surprising show of responsiveness, McCormick left the comfort of his office to address the students crowded on the Old Queens campus and declare his support for their cause. We laurel everyone involved in the "Walk into Action," including McCormick, as he did not shy away from a mob of angry students. We sincerely hope the fight does not end here, and we are looking forward to seeing impressive results from the actions of New Jersey United Students.

****

Gas prices are astoundingly high right now, but what can you do other than grit your teeth and bear it? According to the Beacon of Light Christian Center in Dublin, Ga., you can pray about it. Thus far, the church, led by pastor Marshall Mabry, has come together to beseech God for lower gas prices. According to Mabry, the church is looking to make this a monthly event. Far be it from us to criticize religious practices, but we can't help but think there are some more pressing matters the church could be looking to God for help with. Libya, anyone? Perhaps this is just an example of Americans being wrapped up in their own comparatively small problems while war rages in the Middle East and a nuclear meltdown is looming on the horizon in Japan. Whatever the case, we give the church a dart.

****

Last week, Rep. Rush Holt, D-N.J., wrote to President Barack Obama in support of fair immigration rights for same-sex couples, arguing against the deportation of the spouses of bi-national gay and lesbian Americans. Now, House Democrats are taking the fight to the national level with the reintroduction of the Uniting American Families Act. The act, if passed, would give the same immigration rights to same-sex couples that heterosexual couples have. In short, it would end the sort of unfair deportations that have been unfairly rupturing same-sex couples. We laurel the Democrats in support of this bill, and we are keeping our fingers crossed that it goes through.

****

Bullying became a major issue in the United States the past few years, showing up on daytime talk shows and in serious legislation in equal amounts. Now, it's driving a 7-year-old to plastic surgery. Samantha Shaw of South Dakota had her ears pinned back in an effort to, according to her mother, avoid potential bullying in the future. What kind of message is this mother sending her child by teaching her to cave under the pressure of other people's shallow judgments and resort to cosmetic surgery? That's exactly the opposite of what parents should be teaching their children. It's nothing more than letting the bullies win and a road to poor self-confidence. We give this girl's parents a dart for going to such extremes to teach their child vanity.

****

Not only is the Hub City Clean-Up Crew a productive bunch, but they are proactive as well, evidenced by the fact they already organized a cleanup to follow Rutgersfest. If last year's Rutgersfest is any indication, we're sure there's going to be tons of trash in need of picking up all through New Brunswick. We are glad to see students taking responsibility like this, especially since it will be other students who are responsible for nearly-wrecking the city. Then again, we are hoping this year's Rutgersfest does not get as outright insane as the last one. Regardless of that, we give the Hub City Clean-Up Crew a laurel for being the rare students who actually care about the repercussions of revelry.