Campus police investigate gunshot report on Busch

The Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) is investigating the unknown source of a firearms discharge that was reported on Sunday between 2:15 a.m. and 2:20 a.m., according to a crime alert emailed last night to the University community.

The source of this report of gunfire occurred in the area of the Silvers Apartments on Busch campus and was unable to be located or confirmed when officers responded.

The RUPD recovered evidence after responding to a criminal mischief report indicating that a weapon was fired in the area of the apartments.

Silvers residents also reported to the RUPD that they may have heard gunshots in the area of the residence hall during the above date and times.

The residents also heard the sound of male voices following the gunshots, but the RUPD currently has no further descriptions of suspicious persons in the area at that time.

The RUPD asks that anyone with information contact Sgt. Timothy Wilmot at (732)-932-8025 or the RUPD's main line at (732)-932-7211.

RUPD Cpt. Kenneth Cop said in the email people can reduce their chances of being a victim of crime by leaving the area immediately if there is a firearm, reporting observations to the police, traveling in groups late at night and reamaining alert.

Mary Diduch