Week in review: laurels and darts

If it seems to you like Congress members spend far too much time bickering and far too little time getting anything done, well, according to Harvard University Professor Gary King, you're right. King conducted a study in which he searched for trends in the writings of Congress members. He found, perhaps unsurprisingly for some, that Congress members spend 27 percent of the time "taunting each other." Yeah, we're pretty upset by that, too. While we had a hunch that it was the case, seeing it in cold, hard numbers is just downright depressing. We give the Congress members darts for wasting so much time. To think, we're paying them.

****

The University is such a large school, with so many events occurring all the time, that it's incredibly difficult for students to keep up with what is going on. Often, this leads to people missing great events that they had no idea about in the first place. That's why Thomas O'Malley, a School of Engineering junior, had the right idea to develop the "Student Event Finder." The Facebook app collects events happening all over the University, as well as at other colleges, and presents them all to users on one page. This is just the sort of thing that Facebook should be used for — making staying connected to the world easier. We laurel O'Malley for putting in the time and effort to make this app.

****

Bill O'Reilly is, as everyone knows, a perennial curmudgeon. The man never seems to have a nice thing to say. Even when he's trying to dole out a compliment, he can't do it without letting something nasty seep out, as evidenced by his comments about "The Daily Show" host Jon Stewart. O'Reilly called Stewart the "smartest of the left-wingers on television," praising Stewart's comments about the Obama campaign's 2012 launch video. O'Reilly said, "You know, he's smart to do that … even though his audience is primarily stoned slackers who vote left no matter who's running." We give O'Reilly a dart for being, well, kind of a jerk, even when he's making an attempt at playing nice. Honestly, O'Reilly, if this is what you think a compliment is, perhaps it's best to stick to criticism.

****

Following the explosive reaction to the Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi debacle, School of Arts and Sciences junior Paul Tranquilli started a Facebook group entitled "College Avenue Freeze Out: Let's Bring the Boss to Rutgers." According to Tranquilli, "[The University's] image is tarnished, and bringing someone like Bruce here will help people refresh their thoughts about Rutgers." While we don't necessarily agree that bringing Bruce Springsteen to the University will really change anything, we enjoy seeing students start grassroots movements in an attempt to incite change. For this, we give Tranquilli a laurel. Even if we don't think Springsteen is enough to combat the poor light Snooki cast on the University, we still think it would be awesome to have him come play. We're hoping for the best.

****

When Gov. Chris Christie isn't out pushing reform of all stripes in New Jersey, he takes the time to stay in touch with the little people — including Jesse Koczon, the 5-year-old Old Bridge boy who became an Internet sensation when a video of him crying because he was "too small to be the governor" went viral. Christie's response? He signed a proclamation on Wednesday that made Koczon the honorary governor for the day. This is a pretty heart-warming story, and it speaks to the depth of Christie's heart. Regardless of what you think of him as a politician, you have to admit: He has proven himself to be a pretty good guy. We give Christie a laurel for paying attention to even the smallest residents of the state.