March 19, 2019 | 31° F

Daily review: laurels and darts

Libertarianism, while not necessarily a dangerous political philosophy, can easily lead its more extreme adherents to draw dubious conclusions. For an example of this, one needs to look no further than Monday’s debate on CNN, during which Wolf Blitzer asked Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas), “What do you tell a guy who is sick, goes into a coma and doesn’t have health insurance? … Are you saying society should just let him die?” Before Paul had a chance to respond, a few audience members loudly proclaimed that yes, this hypothetical person should be left to die. While Paul himself did not exactly say that when he responded to Blitzer, this incident is a chilling reminder that libertarianism can lead to terrible selfishness. We give the audience members who displayed such disrespect for their fellow human beings darts. The followers of any ideology — whether it be political, economic, religious, etc. — would do well to avoid extremism.

****

Even though contemporary America likes to pride itself on what it sees as a commitment to diversity, politics are still largely the domain of old white men. President Barack Obama, himself an exception to this rule, is working to change that. According to a report by The Huffington Post, “more than 70 percent of Obama’s confirmed judicial nominees” have been people who did not fit the aforementioned archetype of the old white man. It’s great to see somebody bring real diversity to the political realm, especially when that somebody is a powerful person like the president. We give Obama a laurel for his efforts. He stands as a great example for the rest of us. His actions affirm the message that, in America, race and gender should never bar someone from success. While Obama is not single-handedly ending discrimination, this is at least a good start.