Head coach prefers difficult non-conference schedule

4f1992c0e4a46.image
Photo by Jovelle Abbey Tamayo |

Freshman forward JP'Correa scored his first career goal in the Knights' season opener against La Salle, a 3-1 victory.

Rutgers head men's soccer coach Dan Donigan preaches to his team that before it meets a challenge, it has to be properly prepared for it.

That is why he feels lucky to have a schedule with primarily nonconference games before heading into a latter half of the season that consists of seven Big East opponents in a row.

The Scarlet Knights face the next team on their out-of-conference preparation stretch on Saturday at Drexel (0-2).

"That's kind of our philosophy to get real quality opponents out of conference to put yourself in a good position as you enter what's considered one of the best conferences in the country," Donigan said. "We really have the best of both worlds with our schedule and the games that we that."

As far as tune-up matches go, Drexel offers a tough challenge for the Knights (2-1). Although the Dragons have two losses on the season, their defeats occurred against two of the nation's top teams, including No. 6 Creighton.

And while Donigan does not know specifics about the Dragons, he is aware of their ability to get physical with the Knights.

"We don't know much about Drexel's game plan, but we know the basics," he said. "We know they are going to be a physical opponent. They are athletic, they are big, and they are

Vinnie Mancuso