March 25, 2019 | 50° F

Daily review: laurels and darts

Editorial

Elizabeth Snyder, a history professor at the County College of Morris in Randolph, N.J., is under fire for the way she treated a student with a speech impediment. Once the public found out that Snyder told student Philip Garber Jr., who suffers from a stutter, to save his questions for after class, Snyder began to receive what she calls “the most hateful, vile, vicious emails,” according to nj.com. Snyder claims this is character assassination, but we think she deserves the criticism — as long as it isn’t threatening, of course. While we understand that Snyder thought she was doing the right thing with respect to Garber’s stuttering, the fact of the matter is she took the wrong course of action. She should have expected the class to respect Garber and be patient when he spoke. Instead, she singled him out, as if his speech impediment were his fault. We give Snyder a dart. As a professor, she should know better how to deal with her students, especially those who have disabilities.

In what appears to be a desperate attempt to gain control of the electronics market in the Netherlands, Samsung filed a claim with the Dutch courts asking that Apple no longer be allowed to sell iPads or iPhones in the country because these devices use 3G technology patented by Samsung. Luckily, the Dutch courts saw through this charade and rejected the ban on the grounds that 3G is an industry standard, which means that Samsung must offer licenses to Apple under “fair, reasonable and nondiscriminatory” terms. We give the Dutch courts a laurel for preventing Samsung’s attempt at setting up a monopoly.

By The Daily Targum