RUSA continues plans to become separate entity

Pavel Sokolov, Internal Affairs chair of the Rutgers University
Student Assembly, said the organization is limited by certain
regulations because they are a student group. – Photo by Photo by Jovelle Abbey Tamayo | The Daily Targum

Rutgers University Student Assembly discussed the possibility of leaving the umbrella of Student Life last night during its biweekly meeting.

Pavel Sokolov, Internal Affairs chair, said during the spring election there was a call to make RUSA a separate entity from Student Life in order to establish a nonprofit status to receive funding through a different structure.

“Just like The [Daily] Targum or [New Jersey Public Interest Research Group], we want to have an option of a student fee on the term bill, but [the allocations board] would still remain under Student Life,” said Sokolov, a School of Business sophomore. “With the fee, RUSA would hire workers with their sole purpose to make RUSA run properly in an educational capacity.”

One major reason for the change is because under Student Life, RUSA must abide under certain funding and lobbying regulations, he said. They receive University funding and are not allowed to lobby with student fee money.

Unlike the International Revenue Services tax and funding distinction they were considering (501c3) that does not allow lobbying, RUSA looks to pursue a distinction (501c7) that would allow it, said Matthew Cordeiro, RUSA president.

“What it means, is that we could still advocate but under the two conditions, that it is under a nonpartisan manner [and that we] spend up to 20 percent of the budget on political engagement,” said Cordeiro, a School of Arts and Sciences senior.

The fee would also provide RUSA the opportunity to speak with state legislators in Trenton, but the plan will be discussed throughout the year within the Internal Affairs committee, Sokolov said.

Looking to support the United States Students Association’s campaign to save student aid, RUSA also endorsed a bill to save federal funding from Pell Grants and Stafford Grants.

The federal student aid programs have already been cut $30 billion, according to the bill.

“Our goal is to not push the cost of higher education on students’ backs,” Cordeiro said.

Cordeiro, who proposed the bill, encouraged the general body to back the USSA’s postcard campaign to “Save Student Aid” campaign.

The Joint Select Committee on Deficit Reduction, also known as the Super Committee is composed of 12 members — six Democrats and six Republicans from the Senate, Cordeiro said. They have until November to come up with a plan to cut $1.2 trillion from the federal debt.

“Rutgers relies on federal funding and it’s what students rely on,” he said. “One-third of all Rutgers students are on Pell Grants.”

Changes to the Pell Grants would make the $5,550 harder to get by changing the loan guidelines to those making less than $30,000 for a family of four, Cordeiro said.

“Everyone would probably receive less money,” he said.

Stafford Loans, which are subsidized and unsubsidized loans with a six-month grace period before students have to start paying back the principle, would also be directly affected, Cordeiro said. But with the cuts, students would have to pay back the loan as soon as they graduate.

“Rutgers receives $300 million in federal loans. [With the cuts, there will be] less money for these programs,” he said.

Student loans are the only type of loans that are not excused when filing bankruptcy, Sokolov said.

“This year, as a nation, student loan debt will hit $1 trillion,” Cordeiro said. “We should not be pushing the cost of higher education on students.”

In response to the murder of 46-year-old Barry Deloatch, RUSA also passed a resolution to publicly state the student body’s opposition of the city’s response to the alleged shooting and tactics of the New Brunswick Police Department, said Joel Salvino, off-campus representative.

“I call for an investigation into the NBPD for their history,” he said. “I want an investigation into the NBPD for their actions and prosecution ... for the police officers involved in the murder.”

Deloatch was a New Brunswick resident who was fatally shot on Sept. 22 during an altercation with police.

“The students of Rutgers are a part of the New Brunswick community,” said Salvino, a School of Arts and Sciences junior. “The lack of response from the city of New Brunswick to the continuous community protests of the matter.”