M.B. finds jury’s final verdict ‘just’

Tyler Clementi’s mysterious guest, only identified by initials M.B., commented for the first time Friday about being a part of the highly publicized Dharun Ravi trial.

Through a press statement issued by his pro bono attorney Richard Pompelio, M.B. said he found out about the verdict while at work and was pleased with the jury’s “just” verdict on the case.

Ravi is a former University student who spied on his roommate Tyler Clementi and M.B. on two separate occasions in September 2010.

M.B. learned Clementi jumped off the George Washington Bridge in late September 2010 after seeing the 18-year-old’s photo in the newspaper.

Ravi was convicted of all 15 counts on Friday, including invasion of privacy, bias intimidation, tampering with physical evidence and a witness, and hindering apprehension.

M.B. testified in court at the Middlesex County Courthouse on March 2.

“I had hoped for all concerned that a trial could have been avoided, but that was not my choice,” M.B. said in the statement. “It was Mr. Ravi’s decision and now he will have to live with it.”

M.B. said although he was required to remain anonymous during the trial, it became necessary for him to protect his privacy. Only the jurors, attorneys and the judge involved in the trial know M.B.’s full name.

“For all of my life, I have been known to the world by my name,” he said. “That simple luxury was taken away from me as my identity became reduced to simply M.B. in order to protect the privacy of myself and my family.”

M.B. said he testified in court because he was required to do so though he bore no hatred toward Ravi.

But having to testify under “very intimidating circumstances” has reopened some “wounds that will take a very long time to heal,” he said.

“When I learned of Tyler’s death, it bothered me terribly that perhaps there had been something I could have done or said to him that would have changed the course of events,” he said. “I will never have that chance nor will his family … who saw him differently than Mr. Ravi did.”

M.B. said with the help he was provided from Middlesex County Prosecutor’s office, Julia McClure and her prosecution team, he will be able to move forward.

M.B. said he believes Ravi’s punishment will make him a “better person.” In his testimony, M.B. said he did not want Ravi to be sent to prison.

“We must be mindful that when one person truly hurts another, society must have the right to demand justice for all,” he said. “And if that means that Mr. Ravi should be reminded that his type of conduct must be deterred, then so be it.”

By Anastasia Millicker