Sophomore, Knights cap season with diving invite

4f66bf302874a.image
Photo by Jovelle Tamayo |

Sophomore diver Nicole Scott totaled 523.00 points last week at the NCAA?Zone A Championships, giving her a second-place finish in the platform dive in the Buffalo, N.Y., meet.

While the platform event was not familiar for the Rutgers diving team this season, it proved the Scarlet Knights’ most successful dive at last week’s NCAA Zone A Diving Championships in Buffalo, N.Y.

Nicole Scott led the way for the Knights in the event. The sophomore totaled 255.95 points in the preliminary rounds of the platform dive and 267.05 points in her finals performance. Her 523.00 total score for the event gave the Toronto, Canada, native a second-place finish behind Virginia Tech’s Kelli Stockton.

“[Scott] did a fantastic job,” said head diving coach Fred Woodruff. “She scored well with very consistent and very strong diving. I was really happy with her.”

Stockton’s combined score of 590.65 qualified the Hokie for the NCAA championships. Virginia Tech diver Sara Mokhtari followed Scott with a score of 463.20.

Rutgers competed in the platform event once before this season, but Scott’s performance was not a surprise. She placed third last month at the Big East Championships while the Knights made the platform dive more of a focus in practice leading up to the Zones.

Scott also reached the finals in the 3-meter dive. She finished 12th with a final score of 531.85 after placing 10th in the preliminary rounds with a total of 279.55 points.

Sophomore Valentina Gordon finished 23rd in the event, while freshman Nicole Honey placed 32nd in the preliminary round with a score of 217.40.

Fellow Big East diver Danielle Cecco of Connecticut took home the 3-meter title with a 643.05 total score. Virginia Tech’s Logan Kline finished second with 613.50. Maryland’s Alisa Kurbatova followed her with a 607.30 third-place performance.

In the 1-meter dive, Scott missed making the finals by one position. Her 228.40 score was .5 points shorter than Virginia’s Laura Gartrell mark. Scott finished in 19th place.

Junior Katie Kearney finished 29th with a 213.35-point performance, while Gordon and Honey placed 40th and 43rd, respectively.

Virginia Tech’s dominance at the Zone Championships continued in the event with the Hokies’ Kaylea Arnett taking first place in the 1-meter final. Her 585.00 total score beat Cecco and Kurbatova, capping a weekend that witnessed three Virginia Tech divers qualify for the NCAA championships.

The Zone Championships concluded the season for the Rutgers swimming and diving team. The Knights placed eighth at the Big East Championships in February after they finished 9-2 in the regular season.