Open Letter From President Barchi

Letter

Hello and welcome to a new year on the Banks. I’m honored to serve as president of this remarkable university with all its rich history. I’ve learned a lot about the talented and hardworking people at the University in the months since my appointment, and it has made me even more eager to get started. The coming year is going to be especially important for the University as we prepare for integrating most of the academic units of the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey into the University. On the New Brunswick campus, these units include the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, the School of Public Health and the Cancer Institute of New Jersey. While this process will not have an immediate impact on your studies, the long-term benefits of adding these health sciences elements to the University will be immense and very positive.

As the integration proceeds, and as I begin to work on making the University an even better school, I look forward to working with the editors and staff of The Daily Targum, which I know has a long record of achievement. Student media is extremely important to the life of a university, and I appreciate the time and effort that students devote to The Targum, RU-tv, our two radio stations, and the many other outlets on campus that inform and entertain the University community.  

Whether you are a well-established student or as new to the campus as I am, I hope you have a great first week of classes and a very rewarding year.

Robert L. Barchi is the president of the University.

By Robert L. Barchi