‘No’ votes prevail on?municipal question

New Brunswick’s municipal question surrounding the possible change to an elected Board of Education has been voted down by a slim margin, although absentee and provisional ballots have yet to be counted as of press time.

The question asked whether New Brunswick should be changed from the current Type I school district, where board members are directly appointed by Mayor James Cahill, to a Type II district, which allows voters to choose the board.

Preliminary tallies showed the question received 2,903 yes votes and 3,019 no votes, according to Patch.

Mail ballots and provisional votes will be counted throughout the week after city clerks announced an extension to the voting period.

Cahill said New Brunswick has seen a ballot question like this four times before, and it has been voted down every time, according to a letter he sent to residents last week encouraging them to vote ‘no’ on the question.

Joel Salvino, a member of the Rutgers University Student Assembly, said RUSA supported changing the system, but claimed he was not surprised the question was voted down since the “Vote No” campaign raised significantly more money than the opposing campaign.

Salvino, a School of Arts and Sciences senior said the poor public education system in New Brunswick, which has a graduation rate of 58 percent, according to the state, proved that the status quo needs to be changed.

By Giancarlo Chaux