Tinkering training benefits swimmer

50c8159b504f9.image

Coach Phil?Spiniello and assistants changed junior Mary Moser’s practice technique to adjust to her sprinting skill.

After a relatively successful sophomore year, junior swimmer Mary Moser has come out strong and dominated the first half of the season for the Rutgers swimming and diving team.

Moser has won six individual events for the Scarlet Knights this year. She has also played a role in Rutgers’ successful relay teams.

Moser, who noticed a change in her swimming this year, attributes this improvement to a change in her training.

“My coaches … were able to change my training around a bit, so I’m more sprint oriented during practice than I’ve ever been, and that’s definitely helped in my races,” she said.

Head coach Phil Spiniello also noticed a change in Moser’s attitude and approach to swimming this season.

“She trained over the summer here at Rutgers, and more mentally than physically came into this year and decided that she was going to do well,” he said.

This extra training and focus has lead to a dominant performance by Moser this season. Since the first meet of the season, the Sony Werblin Invitational, she has been accumulating first place finishes.

At the Sony Werblin Invite, Moser collected three total first place finishes in the 50-yard freestyle, 100-yard freestyle and the 100-yard butterfly. At the Knights’ next meet, a dual meet with Wagner, Moser continued this trend by touching the wall first in the 200-yard freestyle. Most recently in a meet against George Washington and Old Dominion, she won two events after finishing first in the 50- and 100-yard freestyle.

“I’m very happy with where I am in the season right now,” Moser said. “And the whole team is doing well, so that’s always encouraging.”

Spiniello is also impressed with Moser’s performance so far this year, which he thinks came as a result of increased training. Because of this, she swims better than she ever has before, he said.

“She’s gone faster in season this year than in her freshman and sophomore year,” Spiniello said. “She came to campus in shape and motivated and ready to make this season a special one.”

In addition to having individual success, Moser has also been a key member of Rutgers’ relay squads. The relays have been a highlight for the Knights this season, and Moser has played a large part in their success.

“I have confidence in her that when she’s on a relay she’s going to get the job done for the team,” Spiniello said.

Despite her successful first half of the season, Moser has her mind set on competing strong in the more rigorous second half of the season. Her goal is simple: get better and do well in the Big East Championships.

Spiniello believes that she can accomplish this goal in the second half.

“If she keeps training the way she has in the first half — and she’s really embraced the work we’ve given her this year — if she continues to do that in the second half I expect good things from Mary,” he said.

For updates on the Rutgers swimming and diving team, follow Mike Morton on Twitter @MortonTargum.

By Mike Morton