U. groups participate in “Glow Red” campaign

5109ec9237dbb.image
Photo by Nisha Datt |

The Douglass Campus Center lights up as a part of the “Go and Glow Red for Women” campaign to raise awareness for women’s heart disease and stroke.

For the next three days at the University, students on campus should not be alarmed when they notice certain buildings glowing red.

As a part of the “Go and Glow Red” campaign to raise awareness about women’s heart health, Rutgers Against Hunger, Rutgers Facilities and Rutgers Student Life are collaborating to make the Douglass Campus Center, Rutgers Student Center, Livingston Student Center and the Werblin Recreation Center glow red, said Melissa Selesky, community relations director for Community Affairs.

The campaign aims to raise money and awareness for heart disease affecting women, she said.

People are encouraged to wear red and donate money to be used for research. Last year, she said the effort netted around $1,200.

“The risks women face are different [from those men face] … the symptoms are different for women, said Dianne Gravatt, director of University Facilities.

This is the second year the University has participated in the national campaign, which is in its 10th year, Selesky said.

“Thousands of buildings across the country are illuminated on Feb. 1,” she said.

This is the first year Rutgers Against Hunger has participated, said Kat Decker, program coordinator for RAH. The organization will be running a month-long food drive in which donors are encouraged to donate heart healthy foods such as black beans, oatmeal and raisins.

Donated food will go to RAH-affiliated food banks and pantries in New Jersey, including Elijah’s Promise Soup Kitchen in New Brunswick.

Gravatt said facilities’ employees would be able to wear red instead of their usual uniforms on Friday if they donate $3.

By Domenic Ruggeri