Governing councils give outlook on semester’s goals

Student leaders collaborate to provide academic, social events

The various University governing councils plan to launch diverse initiatives this year, like hosting beauty pageants, social gatherings and professional development activities.

The governing councils include the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences Governing Council, the Pharmacy Governing Council, the Engineering Governing Council and the Rutgers Business Governing Association, among others.

Rutgers Business Governing Association

May Chiu, president of the Rutgers Business Governing Association, said one major accomplishment the council made was the introduction of a soft-skills workshop for incoming business students. The workshop aims to teach concepts such as business etiquette, interview preparation, public speaking and résumé writing, she said.

Chiu, a Rutgers Business School senior, said the workshop was in response to an ongoing trend in the business world in which students are sought out for internships earlier in their careers, often without receiving any professional development training.

“Normally, we used to offer our business students professional development assistance in their junior year,” she said. “However, students are now getting internships in their sophomore year, so we are now beginning to professionally develop students as freshman.”

Chiu said there are about 50 members in the governing council. She said the council is comprised of the general assembly, the senior board — which is made up of general assembly members in their senior year — and a four-member executive board, which includes a president, vice president, treasurer and secretary.

Chiu said the council is planning a “Ms. RBS” pageant, which will take place on Feb. 7. The pageant aims to raise money to fund their dance marathon team, which in turn will participate in a dance contest to raise funds for a foundation that helps children with cancer.

“Our overall goal is to continue to help prepare events that will [help] business students develop professionally,” Chiu said.

Pharmacy

Governing Council

Agnes Hong, president of the Pharmacy Governing Council, said the initiatives being planned for this year include an open forum, where faculty members will answer student’s questions, and a UnitedHealthcare event, which will focus on health care communication issues between different parts of the health care profession and possible solutions.

“These skills are very important, whether when counseling patients or communicating with other health care professionals in the health care system,” said Hong, an Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy graduate student.

Engineering Governing Council

President of the Engineering Governing Council Jay Ravaliya said one of the major accomplishments of the council is the introduction of hands-on courses to the engineering curriculum, which benefits students by getting them more engaged in the curriculum.

“The [Rutgers Engineering School] administration is really excited by this,” said Ravaliya, a School of Engineering senior.

Ravaliya said this semester’s agenda includes holding a cardboard canoe pool race, a carnival-style engineering Olympic event, a leadership development conference from incoming council leaders and an open house that showcases the engineering department.

“We look forward to continuing serving students and solving their issues, which is an ongoing process, ” he said.

The executive board of the council consists of a president, internal vice-president, external vice-president, treasurer, secretary, four senators and four Rutgers University Student Assembly representatives, he said.

SEBS Governing Council

Peter Canavan, president of the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences Governing Council, said one initiative promoted by the council includes Ag Field Day, which includes a folk festival, petting zoo, display of recent research and more. The event is set to take place on April 27.

Canavan, a School of Environmental and Biological junior, said the organization hopes to hold more activity-based events in the future, continue the farmer’s market initiative, which began last year and introduce a senior-week event.

The council consists of 45 members, including a five-member executive board comprised of a president, vice president, treasurer, recording secretary and corresponding secretary, he said.

By Wilson Conde