Past history spells no positives for Knights

With just six games remaining in the season, the Rutgers men’s basketball team’s recent history does not bode well for head coach Mike Rice, who would likely have to wait another year until the Scarlet Knights qualify for a tournament.

Of the Knights’ remaining six regular season games, only Rutgers’ next contest at DePaul Saturday comes against an opponent with a losing record.

The Blue Demons are 10-13 this season, with Providence representing their only Big East victory.

If records told the whole story, the Knights would have a difficult time duplicating their six conference wins from the previous year and handing Rice his first winning season since taking over the program in 2010.

If there are more things that play into success of a team than its wins and losses, it does not benefit Rutgers.

Four of the Knights’ games come on the road, including a rematch with Georgetown in Washington, D.C.

Providence and No. 18 Marquette are the only games left at the Louis Brown Athletic Center.

Rutgers will end the regular season in Newark against Seton Hall, a trip that the Knights have not lost since Rice took the reigns from former head coach Fred Hill Jr.

Another stat to look at is Rutgers’ performance in its last six regular season games beginning with Rice’s first season. The Knights went 1-5 in 2010 and 2-4 last season with an overtime victory at the Pirates and a win against St. John’s.

Rutgers sits in the bottom half of the Big East conference standings, which does not play out well for the Knights in the Big East Tournament. Dropping even half of their remaining games will mean the Knights will be paired with a higher-seeded team at Madison Square Garden.

But all of this could mean nothing at all for Rutgers, who could surprise everyone with wins in its last six games.

History suggests otherwise, and for now, that’s all that stands between the Knights and Rice’s first winning season with Rutgers.