Rice, Rutgers’ prodigy, becomes NFL?champ

Ray Rice and Alex Silvestro became the eighth and ninth former Rutgers players, respectively, to win a Super Bowl yesterday, when the Baltimore Ravens beat the San Francisco 49ers, 34-31, in Super Bowl XLVII in New Orleans.

Rice finished his storied three-year career in Piscataway in 2008 after becoming the program’s all-time leading rusher with 4,926 yards. He ranked 11th in the NFL in rushing yards with 1,143 and added nine regular-season rushing touchdowns.

His fourth-and-29 conversion at San Diego serves as one of the most iconic plays of the regular season.

Rice’s and Silvestro’s paths merged in 2007, Silvestro’s freshman season with the Scarlet Knights.

He earned significant playing time in 2007 and became a starter along the defensive line in each of the next three seasons. Silvestro appeared in 49 career games for Rutgers, recording 154 tackles.

The Ravens signed Silvestro to their practice squad midseason after the New England Patriots cut him. Silvestro transitioned to tight end in the offseason after beginning his pro career at defensive end.

Comments

Rules of Conduct
  • 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.