Vendors show how applied sciences benefit U. at expo

511c5e9681118.image
Photo by Shawn Smith |

The Research Technologies Expo 2013 attracted more than 245 attendees yesterday in the Multipurpose Room in the Busch Campus Center. Vendors displayed their latest innovations and discussed their connections with the University.

The University has used WorldWide Medical Products, Inc.’s green technology to recycle more than 33,500 pounds of waste from its laboratories since the contract began with the company.

The corporation was one of the many that attended the Research Technologies Expo 2013 yesterday in the Multipurpose Room in the Busch Campus Center. The expo, hosted by the Office of Research Alliances, displayed how applied science benefits the University and how students and faculty can get involved.

David Spaventa, director of sales for WWMP, said his company collects green recycling boxes from laboratories at the University and brings them to facilities in Hamilton, N.J.

“The recycling the University would have to pay for disposing of, we take away for free,” he said. “We grind down the contents and turn it into something like hoses or glove box holders.”

Spaventa said WWMP weighs the boxes before grinding them down, then tracks the results online and shares the data and a graph that has been plotted, so labs can track how much they have recycled.

The expo was initially scheduled for Oct. 30, 2012, the day after Hurricane Sandy hit and left the state in disarray.

David Sadowski, associate director for ORA, organized the event two separate times, and said the expo was worth the effort.

“The expo was designed to connect resources inside Rutgers with those in the industry,” he said. “One of the ways to do that was to bring the industry in as vendors and attendees.”

Sadowski said he organized the first RTE to allow members of the University to come out and connect with industry experts, see the new technologies and interact with professionals.

“Our idea was to be able to share information on state-of-the-art technologies and allow members of the Rutgers community to come talk to the experts,” he said. “It also gives them the opportunity to come out and network with industries in [New Jersey].”

Edward Tate, director of communications for the Office of the Vice President for Research and Economic Development, said the purpose of the conference was to bring together people from the technology field.

“We wanted to bring in top-tier companies and people from the industry, as well as Rutgers faculty, staff and graduate students,” he said.

Tate said the event had a great turnout, with 245 people registered in advance and a few walk-ins during the exposition.

Sadowski said about 50 vendors in total signed up for the expo. This included 15 additional vendors who signed up after Sandy hit the area.

Speakers from various organizations at the conference were allotted 15 minutes each for their presentations. The presentations all related to a specific program or product that was integrated with the research facilities at the University.

Along with the presentations, vendors were also given tables inside the room to showcase their newest products or technological advances.

Kathy Battista, the Mid-Atlantic sales manager from Ace Glass Inc., talked to attendees who stopped by her table about the newest safety features in chemistry and biology labs.

“Our specialty is lab glassware. However, we also do make some lab equipment,” she said. “Along with covering repairs to broken equipment, we also create specialty glassware.”

Battista said the company was there to showcase some of its newest safety features in lab glassware.

“We now feature removable, screw-in tips from glassware, so there [is] less chance of breakage. We also use ACE thread connectors for water hookups, so there is less chance of glass breaking,” she said.

Another vendor, Ashley Kark, business development in North America from Cell Culture Services, said the expo is a great way to interact with attendees.

“This is a really nice conference. They are even providing free lunch and door prizes to attendees,” she said. “It is well put together, and giving away free stuff is always an attention-getter.”

Kark said while attending other conferences, companies will interact and learn about each other’s products. She said she had heard of WWMP working with the University on recycling solutions in the labs on campus.

Kark, a graduate student at the University who has attended many other conferences, said she liked the way the conference encouraged attendees to come to vendors. Attendees received points for vendors visited which could be redeemed for a fee lunch or door prize.

“It’s a great way to get people to talk vendors and see what’s out there,” she said. “Most people usually just attend the talks and grab their free lunch then leave, so this is a nice change.”

By Shawn Smith