Week in review: laurels and darts

Editorial

900 — FINALLY!

Even though the basketball court was abuzz with cheers of “CVS” and “900” Tuesday night, The Daily Targum was more abuzz with head coach C. Vivian Stringer’s long and arduous path to victory. This dart is for how dang long it took for the top coach to get her record win. Four sour games separated no. 899 from 900. Stringer says, “I am happy that it is over.” Trust us, so are we.

BATMAN STRONG

Let’s face it — it’s a known fact that we New Jerseyans are simply super-human. We’ve survived superstorms, parkway traffic, and even RutgersFest. And now, just to rub it in everyone’s faces, it is officially confirmed that Batman — arguably the coolest superhero ever and the subject of countless movies — is a Jersey boy. This laurel goes to the news that according to an old DC Comics atlas, Gotham City is actually located in the Garden State, contrary to popular belief that it’s based in New York. That’s right — Batman gets Wawa subs just like the rest of us.

GET IT TOGETHER

Rising tuition costs, instate fees for undocumented students, health care — these are some of the most complained about issues at the University. But when it came to giving those complaints a voice, it seems like the student body wasn’t up for it. According to Targum’s Pendulum Poll, 52.4 percent of students do not plan to attend any of Barchi’s town hall meetings. Many students admitted to having better stuff to do. Student priorities get a dart.

900 — DELAYED!

Nonetheless, C. Vivian Stringer also earns a laurel from us. It’s been a long time coming, and we’re proud to have a coach hitting the highest ranks of both women’s and men’s athletic history. She is now the fourth in women’s basketball and seventh in Division I basketball to reach 900 wins in her coaching career. All eyes were on her during the past few games as we awaited the hard-earned milestone, and we love the fact that we got to witness it. Congrats, C.Viv!

FACEBOOK FAIL

Does Facebook need any more money than it already has? Facebook has recently started charging its users $1 dollar for sending a message to people they are not friends with. It’s being used as a method for spam prevention since users can receive only one paid-for message a week and a max of three per month. This dart is for the fact that even though we get pissed when we see spam in our inbox, we’re even more pissed that Facebook is going to make a pretty penny off us forcibly avoiding it.

COMMENDING HEALTH

Amid all the controversy surrounding a sorority’s negative depiction this week, this laurel goes straight towards Project HEAL for their efforts to address eating disorder issues. This week is National Eating Disorder Week, and the organization has taken on the challenge of raising awareness about it. Because of the startlingly high statistics of young women with eating disorders, the tagline for the week is “Everybody knows somebody.” Project HEAL is tabling and hosting talks that hope to help members of our University community. Kudos.

Comments

Rules of Conduct
  • 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.