Diver ends season at nationals

Junior Nicole Scott must not have been satisfied with her record performance at last month’s Big East Championships.

The diver took home first place March 2 — the final day of competition —in the platform finals, breaking the school record in the process.

The meet showcased three different school records being broken by the end of the four-day event — a fitting end to an already successful season for the Rutgers swimming and diving team.

Scott, along with the rest of the Knights’ divers, still had one more opportunity to score March 16 at the Zone A Diving Championships.

With a second-place performance in the platform dive, Scott was able to extend her season once more.

She took silver with a score of 280.35 and broke her own record from a few weeks prior by seven points.

“These past three weeks have been amazing,” said head diving coach Fred Woodruff. “Winning the conference championship was a huge goal, and she pulled that off and then had a great Zone meet.”

The finish earned Scott an automatic qualification in Saturday’s NCAA Championships.

As the only Knight to compete in the national competition, she represented Rutgers with a 239.10 finish on the platform and a 234.25 score in the 1-meter dive.

She was tentative with her arm stands on the platform — which kept her out of placing in the top 16, Woodruff said.

“She dove great — I was extremely proud of her, and she just seems to get better each time,” Woodruff said. “She would have scored, but unfortunately she got a little tentative on arms stands, but she was right with those girls all the way.”

Scott became the second diver to reach the NCAA Championships in the last three seasons under Woodruff.

“It’s been an honor coaching her,” Woodruff said. “I couldn’t ask for a nicer person to work with and a harder worker. … I’m really excited because she’s a junior, so we can have a better year together, and I’m really looking forward to that.”

In his time at Rutgers, Woodruff has brought divers to the Zone A Championships each season.

He has been a part of the Rutgers coaching staff since the school’s entrance into the Big East in 1995.

In addition to her historic run on the platform these past few weeks, Scott managed to advance to the finals in both the 1- and 3-meter diving events at the Zone A Championships.

She placed 10th overall in the 1-meter finals and scored 523.60 in the 3-meter event.

Sophomore Nicole Honey also qualified for the 3-meter dive finals and finished with a score of 486.25.

“I was really proud of my girls at Zones,” Woodruff said. “They put a really good meet in — and to come back and dive in that meet very shortly after the conference [championships] is a tough thing.”

By Ian Erhard