Sorority raises funds with fashion show

Greek life organizations spend time with children from Embrace Kids Foundation

513d41e16ee57.image
Photo by Lianne Ng |

Members of Phi Sigma Sigma.

Phi Sigma Sigma raised over $6,500 from their “Strut for the Kids Fashion Show” to help children with serious disorders, said Samantha Hod, the show’s coordinator.

The fourth annual fashion show was held at the Busch Campus Center on Saturday.

Twenty children from the Embrace Kids Foundation, ranging in ages from five to 21, participated in the show alongside 50 University students from different greek life organizations who worked as models and coordinators.  

Each separate greek organization spent time visiting children from the foundation at their home and the hospital to form a bond with them, said Andrew Yashouh, a member of the Delta Upsilon fraternity.

Photo: Lianne Ng

Zeta Beta Tau participate Saturday in the “Strut for Kids” fashion show.

Photo: Lianne Ng

Members of Alpha Phi Omega.

Yashouh, a School of Arts and Sciences junior, was one of the models for the event. He said that those who take part in the fashion show end up bonding with all the kids — in addition to the one they visit during the semester and partner with on the runway.

“I instantly said ‘yeah’ [to being in the fashion show] because it seemed like a great time last year.  The kids are awesome and energetic.  It puts a smile on your face,” Yashouh said.

In the show itself, representatives from different fraternities and sororities coordinated outfits donated from Rent the Runway with each other and the participating children.  Each group participating in the fashion show created unique routines for walking down the runway.

The show began with greek members walking down the runway with the children they had sponsored, both sporting the letters of their organization. After this, the kids and greek members showcased their formal wear section with suits and dresses.

Christine Carty, a School of Arts and Sciences junior, said she combined efforts with co-chairman Samantha Lancia to design intricate and appealing raffle prize baskets and work with alumni to acquire donations for the event.  

“It’s rewarding to see how much you raise to go towards a foundation that really needs it,” Carty said.

She said Phi Sigma Sigma has been involved with the Embrace Kids Foundation since 2010 — when the sorority was re-chartered at the University. The foundation, which began in 1993, helps the families of kids who have sickle-cell disease, blood disorders and cancer in the New Jersey area.

“It’s amazing seeing all our hard work pay off and seeing the kids’ smiles as they walk down the runway,” she said.

Phi Sigma Sigma members also worked as attendants at the fashion show, said Sarah Delucia, a School of Arts and Sciences junior.

The event supports Dance Marathon, a fundraiser that will be held this year on April 6th and 7th in the College Avenue Gym, Delucia said.

Dance Marathon, which was first held in 1999, is the largest student-run event in New Jersey, according to its website. It has collected $3 million dollars so far for the Embrace Kids foundation.

Delucia said her favorite experience with the event was working with a child that modeled for the show last year — whose family Delucia met as well.

“Us working with their daughter, Daisy, meant a lot to the family — to have her spirits lifted,” Delucia said.

By Nick Siwek