Be Bold with Black and White This Spring

Jailhouse chic has become the “it trend” this season as styling for spring has become more risky. Stripes were seen in many pieces at the Marc Jacobs show during New York Fashion Week. Jacobs featured bold stripes with patterns for a powerful contrast, while Valentino used the trend with lace and white accents for a tamer look.

Thick black and white stripes are in for the spring. This classic combination lends a retro feel to many wardrobes. Bold stripes are strong, edgy and can be flattering if worn the right way. Wearing black and white stripes with a bold colored pant, for example, is very stylish.

Mixing patterns, such as stripes and florals, is a funky and unique combination, but too many patterns in an outfit can clash. A black and white striped shirt, for example, would pair nicely with a black and white, polka dot skirt, if the stripes on the shirt are thick and the dots on the skirt are small.

To create a more confident look, mix and match bright colors with stripes, which will add a little bit of flavor. Striped blouses will also look great with chunky necklaces. Pair a black and white blouse with red pants, red lips, a chunky necklace, some arm candy and a pair of black heels for a look ready for a night out.

Tips for everyone:

- One striped item per outfit

- Mix with tiny florals, or bold colored pants

- Stripes on bust and hips will make these body parts look bigger

- Skinner and vertical stripes are best

- Never wear stripes on your widest part

- Enjoy your edgy new look!

Maiy Elbery