July 20, 2018 | ° F

Rutgers places last at Big East Tournament

The Rutgers women’s golf team put the finishing touches on the spring season after competing in the Big East Championship in Orlando.

The Scarlet Knights returned to the Sunshine State for the second time this year to contend for the coveted conference title in what the team deemed the most anticipated event.

Rutgers finished in eighth place after carding a 929 (304-318-307) Tuesday to cap off a season that featured a roster composed of two seniors and five freshmen. It was the only last-place result of the year.

In her final outing, senior Brittany Weddell ended her career the same way she played the entire season. She paced the Knights with a 227 (76-80-71) and tied for 14th place. Freshman Samantha Moyal was right behind, tying for 17th with a 230 (72-79-79) to end in the top 20.

Rutgers did not fare as well as it hoped in the final outing of a year of growth with one of the youngest teams in head coach Maura Ballard’s tenure.

Neither Ballard nor the rest of the Knights were available for comment following action after the tournament.

Freshman Melanie Chambers grabbed sole possession of 30th place to end her rookie campaign with a score of 235 (79-77-79). Senior Karen Cash and freshman Gabrielle Sacheli rounded out the rest of the scorecard for the Knights.

Cash closed her career tied for 37th with a 238 (77-83-78), while Sacheli ended the competition in 40th with a 250 (87-82-81).

The Knights struggled Monday and fell to last place at the conclusion of the second round. Rutgers carded a team total of 622 (304-318) after the second round to lose ground.

Moyal continued her improved play and finished the day in 14th place with a 151 (72-79) in the 40-player field. The rookie was even in both par-three and par-five scoring and collected six birdies going into the final round of action.

Moyal was the sole Knight in the top 15 at Reunion Resort. Weddell and Chambers managed to claim top-30 spots by late Monday afternoon. Weddell had 21 pars and was tied for 26th with a 156 (76-80).

Chambers served as her counterpart, the other player tied for 26th with a 156 (79-77).

Entering the final day of competition, Notre Dame held on to a slim lead to take first place. The Fighting Irish (579, +3) were the frontrunners with a single-stroke lead over Louisville (580, +4).

The Knights took to the course Sunday morning and jumped out to a tie for fifth place after the opening round with a team score of 304. The effort marked a season low for Rutgers.

Notre Dame claimed its fifth Big East Championship title in program history with a team-best score of 861. The win marked the Fighting Irish’s third title in the last three years (2008, 2011 and 2013).

The Cardinals could not make up their deficit following a lead after the first round. They finished in second place, followed by St. John’s in third.

By Aaron Farrar