Tennis: RU aims to improve Big East seeding with win

516779d1e1f98.image
Photo by Tian Li |

Freshman Gina Li grabbed her 14th singles match win Wednesday against Seton Hall. She lost only one game in her singles matchup against the Pirates.

The Rutgers tennis team will conclude its regular season tomorrow in Washington, D.C., against Georgetown.

The Scarlet Knights (12-7, 6-2) enter with a 6-1 victory yesterday against Seton Hall. They will need another strong team performance in order to defeat the Hoyas (14-4, 3-2).

“We are playing good tennis and we’re looking forward to the challenge against Georgetown,” said head coach Ben Bucca.

The Knights will need another strong performance from freshman Gina Li, who has played well in singles play this year with a 14-5 overall record while posting a 7-1 mark in Big East matches.

Rutgers hopes to improve its performance in doubles play against Georgetown. The Knights played two tight contests in doubles matches in their last match against Seton Hall.

Li and junior Vanessa Petrina lead the Knights in doubles, combining for a 10-5 record this season with a 5-2 record in Big East play.

Georgetown has been very strong on familiar ground this season with a home record of 6-1.

It is crucial for the Knights to start this match strong to take control early of play in the early stages.

“We have to be ready to fight, compete really hard and play good tennis,” said freshman Mariam Zein.

This is a very important game for the Knights, as they want to end their season strong to enter the Big East Championships with a high seed. This match will determine their final seed entering the conference championships.

“Beating Georgetown would be great for us to get a better seed for the Big East Championships,” Zein said.

If Rutgers can enter the Big East Championships with wins in three of its last four, it will be better situated for success in the tournament.

By Mike Kosinski