Tennis: RU struggles before conference action

Yale defeated the Rutgers tennis team Saturday with a score of 6-1. The Scarlet Knights (10-6) will go into the final portion of their season with four straight Big East matchups.

The Knights knew this would be a difficult matchup, and it proved to be exactly that.

Yale won all three doubles matches early on and followed by winning five of the six singles matches on its way to the victory.

Rutgers gained its only point for the match from a singles victory by junior Stefania Balasa.

Although this was a tough loss for Rutgers, the Knights will look to grow from it as they move on this season.

“It definitely helps because we learned some weaknesses that we need to correct going forward,” Balasa said.

Rutgers will need to learn from this loss and put it behind them as the team prepares to enter its biggest stretch of matches this season. The next four matches are conference matches that will be important in determining the Knights’ overall seed for the Big East Championships.

“All four of our next matches are in the Big East — so, hopefully, this match will motivate us to improve for those matches.” Balasa said.

Rutgers looks to learn from this loss, and the team hopes to get stronger in order to be successful in Big East play for the remainder of the season.

Yale was one of the strongest opponents that the Knights have faced all year, and the high level of competition will help Rutgers in preparation for the remainder of the season.

By Mike Kosinski